What's It Worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

yep you had me till you said cutting. these are heifers not steers. careful, this is stressful not to mention the heifers burning off fat needlessly.

BC":eglpl0z2 said:
I will have to disagree with the others. This can be a good deal for you or it can be like the others have said. You need yo have an understanding about feed and condition on cattle. If he takes good care of them and only works them once a week or so, I see no problems.

He gets cattle to use and can claim them for ag exemption. You get cattle that will be gentle enough to drive up with a goatweed in your hand. If you use a horse on the rest of your place, you will want all your replacements to go through the process as they will never get out of a walk or trot around a horse.
you'r right on BC about the gentle up part.. but the risk for me with cutting it's hard on the joint's rocking back and forth during their growing stage.. even if they do fine they might not do well for the long haul and cut their production years in half... my ol' calf horse is arthritic from all those jerks and sudden stops all those years

I'll agree with BC. If he takes good care of them, and only works with them once a week or so, then you should have a gentler set of cattle that are used to being handled horseback.

If you did do that, I would watch how he handles the cattle and if it meets your standards, then everything should be OK. Also, make notes of any wild heifers for possible culls.

dcara":3m4wrnhx said:
I'll ask the same question Btranch did. What county are you in and how far are you willing to drive?

I've PMed you. Not too keen on putting details about my location on the internet. You never know. Those boys from Florida might come over and hang something offensive on my trailer hitch... :lol:

TXBobcat":kdj447aj said:
I'll agree with BC. If he takes good care of them, and only works with them once a week or so, then you should have a gentler set of cattle that are used to being handled horseback.

If you did do that, I would watch how he handles the cattle and if it meets your standards, then everything should be OK. Also, make notes of any wild heifers for possible culls.

I've turned back for him several times and I hauled his calves to the sale barn when he wanted to sale them. They had put on frame and condition while he owned them and there wasn't a limp or injury in the bunch. He's got an animal science degree and I don't think he's got it in him to risk harm or injury to an animal.

skyline":2q0hq0vn said:
TXBobcat":2q0hq0vn said:

I've turned back for him several times and I hauled his calves to the sale barn when he wanted to sale them. They had put on frame and condition while he owned them and there wasn't a limp or injury in the bunch. He's got an animal science degree and I don't think he's got it in him to risk harm or injury to an animal.
not to argue at all, the decision is you'rs... but i roped with one of the best large animal vet's around here. he was'nt any more different handling ropin' stock than any other cowboy especially when it came too competition ,he was ruthless . no way if i put time money and effort in registerd stock. would i treat em like grade cattle...

ALACOWMAN":385b2281 said:
not to argue at all, the decision is you'rs... but i roped with one of the best large animal vet's around here. he was'nt any more different handling ropin' stock than any other cowboy especially when it came too competition ,he was ruthless . no way if i put time money and effort in registerd stock. would i treat em like grade cattle...

No sir, I don't take it as arguing. I appreciate your input. I've got about 6 weeks or so before I start weaning these calves. So I've got some time to think this through.

no way if i put time money and effort in registerd stock. would i treat em like grade cattle...

I wouldn't treat my grade (commercial) cattle like that..... you're busy putting weight on them and his cutting horse exercise is taking it off faster than you can put it on.... not a good plan I don't think.