What's it worth ?

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC":34d0tazw said:
MillIronQH":34d0tazw said:
If you want to have some fun with the people who are wanting to lease the place go to one of the Mountainman re-enactments and find a flint knapper that does copies of the northern tribes arrowheads and spear points and scatter a few of them around. A friend of mine did this to a guy that was going over his place here in south Texas. The guy was going nuts for about two days till my friend broke down and told him what he had done.Z

That's a terrible thing to do, and I would love to try it sometime. ;-)

Yeah...but I think my confession would be done thru email.

Alice

john250":3g9my2ex said:
That head is amazing. Is that limestone it is carved in?
My place contains a huge spring, so there was lots of Indian activity here. I've got a lot of artifacts. But nothing even remotely like that head. Yer not pullin' our legs, are you?

I don't think it is limestone - its pretty soft rock. We don't have much rock around here so I'm ignorant in this dept. It is a sandy stone, easily worked and easily broken. I'm pretty sure it is a sedimentary rock cause you can see layers plus it has glittery things in it like mica. I think I heard someone call it soapstone but I'm not positive this is right - it could be sandstone.

I took it to two archeologists. First said it is a ceremonial piece made during the Mississippian period the second said it was a "trading piece" made by indians for trade with the Europeans. I don't know but I suspect the second opinion is probably the case. My mother told me that her grandad said there was a trading post in the 1700's not far from where this was found, so based on this - it is probably something they made to trade with the settlers.

At any rate, they were really talented. I don't know if you can see the detail or not but the carving even has a wrinkle on his face.

Hersh, I haven't had it priced cause I don't think you can put a price on it. It kinda belongs on the property - I'm just kinda looking over it for a short spell - if you know what I mean.

I think that head is fascinating...maybe a museum that has a department on early American 'stuff' (sorry, it's early and I'm not really awake yet) could shed some light on this piece. I wonder if there are others somewhere...must be? That is really something, primitive and sophisticated at the same time.

Gale Seddon":1ax17jcz said:
I think that head is fascinating...maybe a museum that has a department on early American 'stuff' (sorry, it's early and I'm not really awake yet) could shed some light on this piece. I wonder if there are others somewhere...must be? That is really something, primitive and sophisticated at the same time.

Or the Smithsonian.......

dun

backhoeboogie":wwn73tt8 said:
If it were kids, children, wanting to look, I couldn't charge anything.

But, you can find arrowheads on just about every flood plain of the Brazos in this area. The ole boy may have stumbled onto some really good ole spots on your place. Generally supply and demand set prices.

If someone is will to pay $10 for a particular stock, and someone is willing to sell it for that, it is listed in the NY stock exchange for $10 until the next guy pays more. When someone offers $100, that is what it is worth.

I agree,if it was kids,I would just let em dig around a little,these are serious diggers,they have a back hoe out there and a skid loader,call themselves AAA ,amateur archeologists assc..............good luck

PS.... interesting stuff you folks have posted pictures of.

I hate to be the one to bring this word up but the first call I'd make would be to my lawyer or my insurance person. Let 'em on the land and somebody gets hurt (or worse) and you'll likely find yourself up a creek. I'd also get something in writing about returning the land to it's original condition. Wouldn't want a bunch of holes around so that a cow or a tractor could find its way into it!

HAY MAKER":1klaxm29 said:
backhoeboogie":1klaxm29 said:
If it were kids, children, wanting to look, I couldn't charge anything.

But, you can find arrowheads on just about every flood plain of the Brazos in this area. The ole boy may have stumbled onto some really good ole spots on your place. Generally supply and demand set prices.

If someone is will to pay $10 for a particular stock, and someone is willing to sell it for that, it is listed in the NY stock exchange for $10 until the next guy pays more. When someone offers $100, that is what it is worth.

I agree,if it was kids,I would just let em dig around a little,these are serious diggers,they have a back hoe out there and a skid loader,call themselves AAA ,amateur archeologists assc..............good luck

PS.... interesting stuff you folks have posted pictures of.

Back Hoe and a Skid loader? If they are bringing that kind of tools to the job, I'd get real curious about the value of what they are taking out.
Antiquities or relics sell in a cash type market, so I don't know if values are tracked by anyone. There sure are a lot of flea markets and festivals around here where a vendor has several points and whatevers for sale.
Most states have some laws about this archeology. Better check that.

Jogeephus":5v9z8e2c said:
I don't think it is limestone - its pretty soft rock. We don't have much rock around here so I'm ignorant in this dept. It is a sandy stone, easily worked and easily broken. I'm pretty sure it is a sedimentary rock cause you can see layers plus it has glittery things in it like mica. I think I heard someone call it soapstone but I'm not positive this is right - it could be sandstone.

I took it to two archeologists. First said it is a ceremonial piece made during the Mississippian period the second said it was a "trading piece" made by indians for trade with the Europeans. I don't know but I suspect the second opinion is probably the case. My mother told me that her grandad said there was a trading post in the 1700's not far from where this was found, so based on this - it is probably something they made to trade with the settlers.

At any rate, they were really talented. I don't know if you can see the detail or not but the carving even has a wrinkle on his face.

Hersh, I haven't had it priced cause I don't think you can put a price on it. It kinda belongs on the property - I'm just kinda looking over it for a short spell - if you know what I mean.

Tillage tools broke up a lot of the artifacts around here. The survival of your piece in that condition must make it rare as can be.

I cant say I would let someone bring that kind of equipment on to my place to start digging holes. Sounds like your common viatiety treasure hunters to me, not archeologist by a long shot.

I have no problem with someone hunting arrowheads or points, but digging up things is an entire different matter. History is very important and deserves to be documented in the proper manner regardless of if it is being doen for profit or not. A site should be treated like a crime scene. I cant think of any reason to start with a backhoe over a garden shovel.

Just my 2 cents.

Jogeephus,

I liked it all including your knife. Kinda reminds me of mine.

In addition I liked all the pics. There aint nothing like finding that kinda stuff.

3MR":239sls11 said:
I cant say I would let someone bring that kind of equipment on to my place to start digging holes. Sounds like your common viatiety treasure hunters to me, not archeologist by a long shot.

I have no problem with someone hunting arrowheads or points, but digging up things is an entire different matter. History is very important and deserves to be documented in the proper manner regardless of if it is being doen for profit or not. A site should be treated like a crime scene. I cant think of any reason to start with a backhoe over a garden shovel.

Just my 2 cents.

If I get a chance,I will take a few pictures of what they are finding,have'nt seen them in a few days,hunters probably started complaining about them being there during hunting season,but the pictures of the artifacts posted here already,especially the face that Jogeephus has,is far better than what I seen them dig up,they use the back hoe for test holes,then dig with the loader,and dump it on a big screen,that they have set up on pipe legs,they are definetly set up to find artifacts,I have'nt talked to them about the details,covering holes etc. because I aint sure I want them digging around here,altho I dont see what it would hurt in the fields,I dont want them in the pastures for sure,I think I will take Bullbuyers advice and do a little checking there is probably some sorta laws about removing artifacts,also the liability deal has me wondering.................thanks everyone for good advice & good luck

Haymaker, I have some old deeds and plats of land around here some show where indian trails and campsites are. With these you could do some major damage but I keep them locked up. They might have something like this - it sounds like they are in it in a big way and know something about the area that you don't. If I were you, I inquire at your state university's archeology department and tell them of the interest someone has in your land. If in fact there is something there, they could find it and you could donate the find to the university. I'm sure they can put a value on each piece and give you something for your taxes for your donation and would probably let you have some pieces to give your children.

Place up the hill from me was a lookout point. You can see miles from there. There are arrowheads all in the ground,must have made them while on lookout.. Some idiot leased land from absent owner to raise peanuts...No cover crop,land almost blew away..owner found out in time to save most of it..Idiot sold his home place to Alcoa for a strip mine..Only place I've ever seen that being a strip mine could be an improvement..

Bringing in heavy equipment like that would be worth a big amount to me. Not saying I would not consider it, but I would be putting a very big price on it and a short span of time.

I would also would them to have insurance, bonds and legal papers saying after this time span they would bring the property back to specs, such as fertilizing and planting of grass.

If they want to bring in that type of equipment I would view it as something like an exploration for Mineral or oil.

I would also put a clause in if anything of substantial value was found I would share a piece of the profits.

aplusmnt":3ufh7ver said:
Bringing in heavy equipment like that would be worth a big amount to me. Not saying I would not consider it, but I would be putting a very big price on it and a short span of time.

I would also would them to have insurance, bonds and legal papers saying after this time span they would bring the property back to specs, such as fertilizing and planting of grass.

If they want to bring in that type of equipment I would view it as something like an exploration for Mineral or oil.

I would also put a clause in if anything of substantial value was found I would share a piece of the profits.

Do you know how much stuff I dig in to accidentally? Call the paleantologists out and they go digging with wooden spoons and paint brushes. Beats all you ever saw.