What's it worth ?

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Hate to put a dollar amount on everything but I have a neighbor that has some people on his place looking for arrowheads,I drive down the road and they are always stopping me and showing me what they found,I aint interested in arrow heads but I must say Im impressed with what they are finding and the shape they are in.
Anyway have a fellow calling wanting to lease some field land I have for arrow head hunting,I hate to charge everyone that comes around here but,it's money, and might be away to offset some of the feed costs this drought has caused......................your opinion ? any thoughts on how to price something like this ?...............good luck

If it were kids, children, wanting to look, I couldn't charge anything.

But, you can find arrowheads on just about every flood plain of the Brazos in this area. The ole boy may have stumbled onto some really good ole spots on your place. Generally supply and demand set prices.

If someone is will to pay $10 for a particular stock, and someone is willing to sell it for that, it is listed in the NY stock exchange for $10 until the next guy pays more. When someone offers $100, that is what it is worth.

I might make the dollar amount enough that you don't have people crawling all over your property 24/7. Could there be any liability involved if someone were to get hurt? Just things my suspcious mind conjures up...

Alice

I would say it has more value than you can place a value on it.

Might be like land .. they ain't making them anymore.

I would think he knows something that I didn't know. Like there is a mound or something on the property. If so, this would be priceless. I would check him out and do some homework. If he is a part time collector that would be one thing but if he sells them - I would have a problem. ie I have heard of birdstones selling for $16000. I don't know if I wouldn't tell him I was interested as well and we could go together and split things 50/50. Who knows, you may learn something interesting and then again you both may stumble onto the mother load. At least do this until you learn the fella.

ga. prime":3tz05yqa said:
I believe arrowheads should never leave the place where they are found.

I would tend to agree with you to a point. I know where three mounds are and I leave them alone. They are not threatened and there are only two people who know where they are. But a friend of mine unearthed a mound with a dozier. There was all kinds of stuff in there. He stopped and called the university and had them excavate it properly - the contents are now in the museum for others to see and appreciate. I don't like people selling this type stuff - just doesn't seem right - but to each his own. If I had a mound on my place, I'd be pretty ticked if I leased it to someone and they dug and sold the contents. But to protect it, sometimes you have to do as my friend did.

Jogeephus":2dmjv9bx said:
ga. prime":2dmjv9bx said:

I don't like people selling this type stuff - just doesn't seem right

I agree.

143-4389_img.jpg

Wewild":359frdfe said:
Jogeephus":359frdfe said:
ga. prime":359frdfe said:

I don't like people selling this type stuff - just doesn't seem right

I agree.

I've put some dino tracks on display and I have donated some to paleantologists. I see ones just like mine on ebay at times. I have loaned them to schools and such, but yet have to sell one for someone's backyard vanity. When you quarry limestone, you get into that type stuff. When I find something insitu, I call a paleantologist friend who documents and maps everything. I leave them be too when possible.

I know of some spots around here that are rich in Native American artifacts. Got a place near where there are shard pieces all over the ground. It was an obvious camp site and locale where points were made. The shard pieces are the remnants chipped off. This locale is on a higher ridge with no flint in the proximity.

A few years back they were building a fast food restaurant in Granbury. It was on the upper plain of the Brazos. A kid had a shaking sifter frame with hardware cloth used to sift through dirt. The newspaper write up on it had him finding over 200 arrowheads with that sifter, just on that fast food building site. The actual site is about 5 miles north-east of Comanche Peak, an ancient migration reference point used by Native Americans. The cedar posts from cedar growing on that peak made excellent TeePee poles. Natives would cut them each year and pick up fresh cured ones from the previous year.

backhoeboogie":zo4dv3hh said:
Got a place near where there are shard pieces all over the ground.

Same here. These would have been Cherokee Indians here.

Here's an artifact from the sixty's thanks to Sherman. I tripped over it one day on a cow trail.

143-4392_img.jpg

Wewild":t0w6eulo said:
hersh":t0w6eulo said:
ga. prime":t0w6eulo said:

why?

hersh

Have you ever found one?

yea I got a drawer full. Dont go looking for them they seem to appear when ya least expect them. I sure aint gonna just run over them with a grain drill.

Here is some. The round rocks have holes drilled in the top like they used as a sinker or to swing it. The long rock was used to grind with. I have given some away. Its nice to try an imagine the situation they were used in.

IMG_0926_Medium_.JPG

Here are some pieces I picked up over the years, the stone carving in the middle is a puzzle - no two archiologists agree what its for and I surely don't know. We have a pretty big mound up from the house that no one will mess with cause it is cursed. Know some boys that slipped up there one day to dig in it. One confessed to me that they dug down about three feet and looked up and there was a five foot diamondback eyeballing them not two feet from where they kneeled. They left and haven't been back. Maybe the mound really has some Mojo on it - least wise enough to keep people away from it.
IMG_0397.jpg

Jogeephus has anyone ever offered you anything for that head? Any of the people that looked at it tried to price it?

That head is amazing. Is that limestone it is carved in?
My place contains a huge spring, so there was lots of Indian activity here. I've got a lot of artifacts. But nothing even remotely like that head. Yer not pullin' our legs, are you?

hersh":oovt2kiz said:
Jogeephus has anyone ever offered you anything for that head? Any of the people that looked at it tried to price it?

Not to high jack but when we had the retail rock yard I put a dino track out there for kids to examine. People were always trying to price it. So I told my uncle I would take $20,000. There were lots of exclamations "No one would pay $20,000..." and my reply was always, "EXACTLY"

If you want to have some fun with the people who are wanting to lease the place go to one of the Mountainman re-enactments and find a flint knapper that does copies of the northern tribes arrowheads and spear points and scatter a few of them around. A friend of mine did this to a guy that was going over his place here in south Texas. The guy was going nuts for about two days till my friend broke down and told him what he had done.Z

MillIronQH":o3notzez said:
If you want to have some fun with the people who are wanting to lease the place go to one of the Mountainman re-enactments and find a flint knapper that does copies of the northern tribes arrowheads and spear points and scatter a few of them around. A friend of mine did this to a guy that was going over his place here in south Texas. The guy was going nuts for about two days till my friend broke down and told him what he had done.Z

That's a terrible thing to do, and I would love to try it sometime. ;-)

Latest posts