What's it worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":2v5z9qjz said:
customcattle":2v5z9qjz said:
We'll figure I have around 1300 in material and 30 hours in labor at $20/hour that would be $1900 so $2000 by the time ya figure rod, wire, gas, grease zerts etc. based on what you guys have said $4000 would be around where we are. Is that too high for something like this?

I think your pretty close. You may be under estimating labor but if you're doing it your self
You should be ok.
20.00 per hour won't pay a welder and a helper.
Pro welders tend make sorry fence builders :D

Your not going to compete with mass produced products. You need to make your brand on custom, quality and dependability.
If you have the material already. Work with no deposit. It gives the customer confidence. And your reputation will grow.
We do all of our work with my money. We don't ask for a dime until we are 100% complete.
OUR COMPETITORS HATE US.....

Thank you. I had actually been thinking about that as well. I figured in another $15/hour for a helper and just used what I was making welding for a guy who contracted building new load out facilities at a big feedlot. Even at an extra $450/ unit I think pricing them $3500-$4000 would still make a reasonable profit.

From a marketing standpoint I agree that building them custom to what the customer wants is going to be most beneficial. I worry a little about footing the bill until finished as it is a bigger risk, but I see where it would also be beneficial in the long run to be able to not charge until it is completed.

I don't think there is gonna be a strong market for 'extras' the next couple yrs. Wouldn't get too many built ahead of ya.

Supa Dexta":3ki8sfnf said:
I don't think there is gonna be a strong market for 'extras' the next couple yrs. Wouldn't get too many built ahead of ya.

I think your looking at it wrong. It's the perfect time to stock up on anything made of steel.

I'd wager steel bought this year will be full of profit next year.

Supa Dexta":1woinhgm said:

Are you meaning as far as stocking up and building an inventory? If so, I would only build them on an order basis unless we really started rolling.

Latest posts