What's in your hayfield?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
What have you killed or injured while mowing hay. When we mow the buzzards start following. Things that I have killed with the disc mower are:
baby deer, at least 3 per year
turkey nest
adult turkeys still on the nest
baby turkeys
box turtles, seems they never get away
rabbits
rats and mice
snakes
mowing at night I sometimes get a skunk, :cry2:
What's in your hayfield?

Cats
Groundhogs
Fawns
Mice
Snakes
Skunks

Think that's about it. Some years are good, some not so good. With a 9' haybine with a table, its surprising what fits through the rollers. :shock:

kenny thomas":3oq2x1yd said:
What have you killed or injured while mowing hay. When we mow the buzzards start following. Things that I have killed with the disc mower are:
baby deer, at least 3 per year
turkey nest
adult turkeys still on the nest
baby turkeys
box turtles, seems they never get away
rabbits
rats and mice
snakes
mowing at night I sometimes get a skunk, :cry2:
What's in your hayfield?
you summed it up pretty good,but I need to add
armadillos

I lost count but :cowboy: around 109,742,410 + - grasshoppers. :nod:
Some other stuff to. :frowns:

Seems like we always manage to hit a fawn, as well as a snake or two. Dont mind cutting up the snakes though.

Turkey nests
Big ole turtle (when cutting hay on a bottom by the river)
quail (don't know why they would fly off, I guess nests?)
a few rocks that killed my blades
snakes

I cut the last of the first cutting on Friday, whacked 3 fawns to bring my spring total up to 5 this year. I usually get between 5 and 10 each year.

Had a bald eagle sit in a tree on the side of one of the fields when I was cutting, first one I've ever seen in that area.

Dad sent a dead deer carcass through the mower when he cut the pasture by the house once. Worst stink ever. But I've mowed over skunks, rabbits, fawns, snakes, cats, gophers, and pheasants.

Ever see coyotes waiting in the trees to run out and snag the newly injured or freshly dead? That's interesting.

I've been lucky so far, I don't think I could handle chopping up a baby fawn. DH has though :frowns: . I did get a baby skunk once, didn't know it til I made my next pass (he never sprayed). He was flopping around good, so at least I didn't have to figure out how to put him out of his misery. Other than that, mostly birds, pheasants, partridge and prairie chicken. Have heard about a porcupine that plugged the roller in a haybine though, now that would be a fun job.......

talked too a kid the other day that wadded a baby calf up while bushhoggin' couple weeks ago.. the worst thing i ran over was my favorite straw hat :cowboy:

Based on today's mowing it seems like the gopher turtles have called one field home. Didn't kill any but they sure made for a rough ride in spots.

Latest posts