What's in your hayfield?

Help Support CattleToday:

Seen more baby Elk today cutting hay today. I have seen them when they are big enough to get out with mama but these are to little to go with her.

We started cutting hay today. More deer than I have ever seen. What the deer haven't gotten down the hail last Tuesday did. First cutting is going to be short and lot left on the ground.

I have had the fawns, turkeys, rabbits and snakes that I know of. Also have seen the coyotes shortly after cutting. Right now my problem is trash, limbs and such getting washed out into fields by headwaters. Got about half my hay down a few weeks ago and been raining since. We have had about 7 inches of rain in the last few days.

Do they make those air boats with 3 point hitches? :lol: :lol:

Red Bull Breeder, I did not realize there were Elk in Arkansas. Tell us about them.
Jogee, I believe those turtles are endangered and you are not suppose to disturb them. Guess they now own the hayfield. :( :( Several years ago I was somewhere in central florida running a dozer on a fire and started seeing those holes. I was filling all them up as I went by and they gpt mad and told me I was disturbing an endangered species. Heck, I thought they were groundhog holes and I was doing a good thing.

kenny thomas":lhrcfpdz said:
Red Bull Breeder, I did not realize there were Elk in Arkansas. Tell us about them.
Jogee, I believe those turtles are endangered and you are not suppose to disturb them. Guess they now own the hayfield. :( :( Several years ago I was somewhere in central florida running a dozer on a fire and started seeing those holes. I was filling all them up as I went by and they gpt mad and told me I was disturbing an endangered species. Heck, I thought they were groundhog holes and I was doing a good thing.

They aren't endangered in Florida but are listed as creatures of special concern. They are listed as endangered in Mississippi and South Carolina but in Georgia they are "protected non-game animals". I'm afraid since Atlanta doesn't have any they will be listed as endangered here shortly. Matter of fact there is a politician who has a company that is buying up a lot of land at the moment. Land is worthless for anything other than rattlesnakes and gopher turtles. My suspicion is that we will shortly have a law requiring us to mitigate and relocate gopher turtles and this politician will just happen to know of a company that will provide this service. Then they will name a highway after him for his heroic efforts to save the turtle.

Placing the turtle on the endangered species list will be the worst thing they can do for the turtle. The population I have is growing but I'm afraid if they restrict what I can do on the land because of the turtle the turtle will disappear just as the woodpeckers did. We can coexist without regulations but we cannot coexist with regulations.JMO

Not a lot to tell about them kenny thomas. They were brought here in the early eighty's and released on the buffalo national river. AGF keeps up with them and we have a elk herd of around 500 head in and around the Buffalo river. Really hard on fences on private land and can destroy a hay feild. I do alot of contract work for AGF and have hay leases on AGF land so i see them alot. According to AGF we have record book bull elk in the herd. I will try to post some pictures sometime.

Jogeephus, do they taste like chicken? Some of the same thing happened here. Land that was red cedar and rock and worth $100 per acre became worth $1000 per acre overnight when the Nature Conservancy started buying it because of a plant and a couple of bugs. Maybe he knows something you don't.
Red Bull Breeder, they started stocking them in KY near the VA border and I have wondered about the damage they would do.

What's in my hayfield? A lot of wet hay all lined up in nice neat windrows.

Kenny, I think you are right. These political type can make a lot of money by knowing the inside scoop on things.

I bet the clatter caught your attention! A friend of mine hit an axle a couple of years ago with his. Damage was costly and is a good reason to be suspicious of new fields.

Jogeephus":hpeslz7i said:
I bet the clatter caught your attention! A friend of mine hit an axle a couple of years ago with his. Damage was costly and is a good reason to be suspicious of new fields.
I hate mowing new fields this field I have mowed for 4 or 5 yrs so wasn't thinking about anything and it was embedded under the grass also so I couldn't see it

he didn't have any damage from the storms so it must have dropped out of the sky into his field and out of 65 acres that was the only thing we found in them

I had a fella want me to cut a field of some of the prettiest clover you ever saw and he told me I could have it. Without thinking I drove the tractor over to it then stopped and thought about it. Got down and walked through the knee deep clover and understood why he was giving it to me. I bowed out and he had to bush hog it cause there was just so much junk out there it would have trashed my mower.

Jogeephus":1j8efqyu said:
I had a fella want me to cut a field of some of the prettiest clover you ever saw and he told me I could have it. Without thinking I drove the tractor over to it then stopped and thought about it. Got down and walked through the knee deep clover and understood why he was giving it to me. I bowed out and he had to bush hog it cause there was just so much junk out there it would have trashed my mower.

I caught one of those "freebies" one time on the wrong end. Guy bought 20 acres or so of rolling hills covered in alfalfa right down the road from us and plopped a house right in the middle of it. Called and asked if I wanted the hay, "Sure", I said. Ran some Tyvek and other misc building materials thru the discbine, no big deal. But the couple hundred yards of high tensile wire that someone took down and left in the field was another story. 1100 bucks in parts later the discbine was working again.

cfpinz":1wmiu9ig said:
But the couple hundred yards of high tensile wire that someone took down and left in the field was another story. .

Takes how long to wrap that up? About 3/10 of a second or so? By the time it starts, it's too late to do anything about it...

grannysoo":2ht9gv1p said:
cfpinz":2ht9gv1p said:
But the couple hundred yards of high tensile wire that someone took down and left in the field was another story. .

Takes how long to wrap that up? About 3/10 of a second or so? By the time it starts, it's too late to do anything about it...

Sounds about right. I saw the wire start moving as soon as I hit it. Before I could reach the pto lever with my hand it choked out a Ford 7600. Reckon my slip clutch is froze??? :lol2:

Latest posts