What's in your calving supplies box?

Help Support CattleToday:

Some will say iodine for the navel but I don't believe that makes any difference but that is my opinion only.

What I have been considering for my next calving season is some heavy post in the ground or maybe 2 or 3. None of my cows are halter broken but I would like to be able to run them through my crush (chute) and put a rope halter on them and then let them out pulling their head between two solid posts out in the open and be able to work on them there so if they go down while pulling with a calf puller I am not restricted by the yard posts or alley way and can always be pulling from the correct direction. I have not worked out how I would do it yet, I don't want to get hurt by a cow with a rope on it, any suggestions would be welcome.

Ken

All my calves get a First Defense bolus within 12 hours. I also keep a supply of colostrum replacer, colostrum supplement, electrolytes, milk replacer, Nursemate ASAP, Covexin 8, B Complex, Sustain III calf boluses, Resflor Gold, LA300, Banamine and lots of old towels/blankets and a hair dryer in case we have to bring them in to get warm (this is in addition to the supplies already mentioned in the previous posts).

wbvs58":30pmcjdl said:
Some will say iodine for the navel but I don't believe that makes any difference but that is my opinion only.

What I have been considering for my next calving season is some heavy post in the ground or maybe 2 or 3. None of my cows are halter broken but I would like to be able to run them through my crush (chute) and put a rope halter on them and then let them out pulling their head between two solid posts out in the open and be able to work on them there so if they go down while pulling with a calf puller I am not restricted by the yard posts or alley way and can always be pulling from the correct direction. I have not worked out how I would do it yet, I don't want to get hurt by a cow with a rope on it, any suggestions would be welcome.

Ken

the best solution I have found was a heavy gate hung to a stout post perhaps in a corner...I liked a long gate to crowd the cow into the corner.. chain or tie the gate shut behind her... a good stout rope lets you be able to play slack to the gate as needed.....halter her....tie the cow and then open the gate as needed to deliver the calf. usually once you start trying to deliver the calf they slack up on fighting the halter....

get the calf delivered and out of the way and then close the gate to unhalter the cow. If she is down you may be able to pull the halter without closing the gate.

Add to list..Puller, balling gun, LOTS of rags, lube, 'maybe' ob gloves..disinfectant of your choice for your hands and forearms.

After no pulls in 5 years, I did 3 in the last 3 years--all heifers. One in open field, one in a stall and one in a 12x24 alley. Prefer the alley as ong as it isn't wet and muddy. Sweep stanchion will hold 'em and plenty of room and close to the house--electricity and running water.

pdfangus":2h8m7xde said:
wbvs58":2h8m7xde said:

Ken

the best solution I have found was a heavy gate hung to a stout post perhaps in a corner...I liked a long gate to crowd the cow into the corner.. chain or tie the gate shut behind her... a good stout rope lets you be able to play slack to the gate as needed.....halter her....tie the cow and then open the gate as needed to deliver the calf. usually once you start trying to deliver the calf they slack up on fighting the halter....

get the calf delivered and out of the way and then close the gate to unhalter the cow. If she is down you may be able to pull the halter without closing the gate.

I like that idea of the swinging gate.

Thanks, Ken

Chains, handles, tagging gun, tags, bander, bands, peroxide, Triodyne7, vitamin A&D, BoSe, Draxxin, Baytril, Dex, LA300, blue lotion spray, Vicks VaporRub, syringes, scalpel, needles, Banamine, Safegaurd, and a drench gun. I think that's all. Keep it with me all the time in a plastic tote. And sometimes I still need something no else.

I know this sounds crazy but get some of the strongest smelling perfumed powder you can find. If you have to graft a calf to a different cow dust the calf's back and the cows nose. It can actually work to get the cow to take the new calf. It won't work with all of them had one that we were about to give up we were running the cow into a chute a couple of times a day to allow the calf to nurse. The calf was hungry so it was following the old cow up the chute (they learn the drill pretty darn fast) the cow stopped on the way down the chute to pee and it went all over the calf. When we turned the cow out of the chute she took one sniff of the calf and bonded right then. Good luck, it never fails if you think you have every base covered something will happen that your not prepared for.

gizmom

Knowing how to cast a cow is always handy. In Ken's case, he can get her haltered in the chute, tie her off to something solid, apply the ropes for casting, let her out of the chute, then pull her down to pull the calf. In my limited experience, the cow does not get back up until you loosen the ropes. The casting method can be very helpful in many cases...

https://youtu.be/IrbTsVZ6V0E

I like to partially skin the dead calf and put the hide on the calf I'm trying to graft. After years of tying the hide onto the calf with miserable results, I thought of back tag cement. Now, I let the hide dry off a little and run a thin bead of tag cement down the middle of the hide and put it on the new calf. It sticks well, no strings to tie or confuse the cow.

JMJ Farms":2670836h said:
Chains, handles, tagging gun, tags, bander, bands, peroxide, Triodyne7, vitamin A&D, BoSe, Draxxin, Baytril, Dex, LA300, blue lotion spray, Vicks VaporRub, syringes, scalpel, needles, Banamine, Safegaurd, and a drench gun. I think that's all. Keep it with me all the time in a plastic tote. And sometimes I still need something no else.
Most vets carry less....while you're at it add some Oxytocin and some Epinephrine.

TexasBred":k12ldxs3 said:
JMJ Farms":k12ldxs3 said:
Most vets carry less....while you're at it add some Oxytocin and some Epinephrine.

Been a time or two when I could've used some oxytocin. I'm not very well versed with epinephrine. What would it be for? Anaphylactic shock?

I also keep some tranquilizer medicine but I leave it at home. It's probably out of date by now but that's a good thing. I never needed it!

Latest posts