What's in a name?

Help Support CattleToday:

Most of the farms and dairys around here don't bother naming them. Maybe they don't plan on being in business that long. The dairy I help at is "Lost Paradise". Someday I'll ask them why that name in particular.
Most people around here know this place as "The old Barr place". The Barrs settled it before the turn of the last centruy and have been gone for 50 years or so. But since most of the folks around here are in the 60-80 range they still remember it that way.

dun

Most around here are called for name's sake. (boring, I know) "Fellers Bar None Ranch" I guess we are either cocky or just striving to be the best we can be--depends on who you ask!
welcomeimage004.jpg

Green Willow Herefords: The Green for our last name, the Herefords for obvious reasons, the Willow for two reasons, #1 we have a yard half full of willow trees, #2 when we first went into business, we were trying to AI to LLL Timber 65H, one of my all-time favorite bulls. We thought the willow would go well with Timber when it came to naming calves etc. Ironically, we were unsuccessful at AI and got no calves by Timber at all. Instead we purchased Day Rupert Tone 092, and got two years of good natural service calves before trading him. The naming of calves is one of my favorite parts of registered cattle. The Tone added an interesting dimension. A bull that I am soon to sell is TSG Muscle Tone. Think of the possibilities, "Low Tone, High Tone....."

thanks for all the replys.it was a kick reading them..i also enjoyed the photo of your ranch entrance.... Feller..to a hobby farmer fixing up the place is a big part of it all...I like unique things..names, fences, entrances et.al.