Whats hay worth in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

travlnusa....ain't that the truth!!!!!!!!! And they always guess high! It almost never fails that they'll guess the hay to be at least 100 pounds a bale heavier than it really is. I absolutely will not buy hay by the bale until I have personally weighed a few bales or they have a scale ticket from a previous transaction.

I got a call from a lady from Iowa. She says she has 3,500 small square bales of Timothy. She wants $5.50 at her barn.

Email me if you want her number.

who says you can't make money farming, look at her go. I don't need any hay right now.

Angus/Brangus":14ocb02m said:
The round bales down here are still sold by the round bale or square bale versus weight.

If you ask about weight the answer is always "It's about_____"

The one's I got this last were smaller than the year before and I had to pay more. Last year was $35. The same bale this year, I'm told will be about $50 to $55. Yesterday I was pulling out sticker vines out of one of the bales I had purchased. What next, beer cans?

I'll bale my own this year.

That's cheap for Texas even for bad hay. Feed store wants $95 for 4x5.

We are gonna have ours baled this year.

Good gosh I would hate to buy by the bale. I have weighed bales out of our baler. It is a 5x6 round and just in stalks we have had difference in the hundreds of pounds per bale. We used to do Hay Barley and Alfalfa as well and those bales would be several hundred pounds difference... First cutting was far different than 3rd ctting and depending on who set the balers pressure it could have a huge difference in weight.. I think you are really leaving yourself open to being screwed by doing that.. Let alone not knowing the weight that you are bringing in how do you correctly estimate how much you are feeding your cows.. That bale is about 900 pounds but what if it is actually 700 or 1100? You are either under or over feeding your animals...

Alot of price gouging going on around here, my neighbor bought 3 year old hay for $50 a bale, because there is none to be found. If you find that good person who isn't gouging the normal price is about $45 a big round bale, 5X6.

GMN