What's Happened to Basketball Uniforms?

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Was just wondering..."Inquiring Minds Want To Know!..." LOL!

The 1950's, 1960's, and perhaps 1970's basketball uniforms were concise, neat, etc. Now, the current uniforms (male & female) are those long, floppy, baggy things that seem like the clothes worn by Gang Bangers, Hood, Ex-Cons, etc...LOL!

I can't imagine those things are more comfortable than the more snug fitting (aka "short shorts") in the past.

Do the current generations feel that the form fitting uniforms were obscene, too sexy, too revealing, or whatever? (The same goes for the men's knee length loose fitting swim wear...at same time, women's swim wear is getting more functional, if not more revealing).

So what's with the "gang bangers" basketball "uniforms"... :dunce: :banana:

Bill, I agree with you 100 per cent. Makes me NOT want to watch them.
In my younger years we tried to be neat, not sloppy.
Neatness and good grooming was the standard set by parents, teachers, Roy and Gene. :nod:
Now I don't know if there are any standards for anything anymore. :help:

Having played b-ball in junior high (with the snug t-shirts and the 'short shorts') and highschool (with the loose-fitting tank tops and over-the-knee shorts), I can tell you that the loose-fitting shorts and tops are much more comfortable. Tight clothes and sports that demand flexibility, don't mix. The result is shorts with torn crotches. The further you can spread your legs to take advantage of angles, passes and speed, the better. :cowboy:

The fab five of the University of Michigan invented them and kids followed suit. When they went to the NBA, they took their look with them and it's stayed around ever since. gs

Aaron":3aar5ixs said:
Having played b-ball in junior high (with the snug t-shirts and the 'short shorts') and highschool (with the loose-fitting tank tops and over-the-knee shorts), I can tell you that the loose-fitting shorts and tops are much more comfortable. Tight clothes and sports that demand flexibility, don't mix. The result is shorts with torn crotches. The further you can spread your legs to take advantage of angles, passes and speed, the better. :cowboy:

Aaron you need to watch more football, gymnastics, skiing etc. Tight doesn't seem tohinder them one bit. I think the Univ. of Arkansas was the first to take the shorts to the extreme and others followed suit. But when you look at those from 30 years ago everyone's shorts look to small....there needs to be a happy medium anyway if for no other reason just to make it easier to dribble between your legs.

..........." Gang Bangers, Hood, Ex-Cons, etc"..........

I take it you haven't looked at the players lately ????????

TexasBred":4bkwen53 said:
Aaron":4bkwen53 said:

Aaron you need to watch more football, gymnastics, skiing etc. Tight doesn't seem tohinder them one bit. I think the Univ. of Arkansas was the first to take the shorts to the extreme and others followed suit. But when you look at those from 30 years ago everyone's shorts look to small....there needs to be a happy medium anyway if for no other reason just to make it easier to dribble between your legs.

Most of those sports are using a spandex blend in their clothing. I would fear the day watching grown men play basketball in speedos. :cowboy:

plumber_greg":1tmx3zlf said:
The fab five of the University of Michigan invented them and kids followed suit. When they went to the NBA, they took their look with them and it's stayed around ever since. gs
Were these five by any chance of a particular ethnic group?

"During the 1991-92 season, five freshmen at the University of
Michigan turned longer shorts into the unwritten uniform of college
hoops and eventually the NBA. (They also popularized black socks, but
that's another piece of fashion history.)

Brian Dutcher, then an assistant coach for the Fab Five team, had
noticed before that season that players were pulling their shorts down
to their hips; their jerseys wouldn't stay tucked in, and that bugged
him. Dutcher, who had seen Arkansas' players wearing longer shorts,
decided to order a pair of shorts 2 to 4 inches longer.
He wanted to
see how they looked. "I showed them to Juwan [Howard], and he liked
them, so we ordered all of the shorts longer," says Dutcher, now an
assistant at San Diego State under former Michigan head coach Steve
Fisher. "The team was so good that they got all the exposure."

Dugan Fife, who joined the team the following season, remembers
putting on his first pair of extra-large shorts. "They were huge,"
Fife says. "I had to get mine shortened. They were too long. They
were down to mid-shin."

That was the beginning. The next year, dozens of coaches from schools
around the country started ordering the longer shorts. In 1994, North
Carolina, which had defeated Michigan in the 1993 national
championship game, ordered its first set of oversized shorts."

Aaron":2tyjfef1 said:
Only guy here making any sense. Why nut hugger basketball unis ever gained acceptance I don't know.

Interesting. Before this discussion I gave credit for the loose shorts to Michael Jordan. But you guys make a good case for the fab 5.
Times change. The uniform I wore in HS in '68 would be "so gay" today. We didn't have a clue about that, and I'm burning my HS yearbook as soon as I log off of here.

john250":3jo5dlqj said:
Interesting. Before this discussion I gave credit for the loose shorts to Michael Jordan. But you guys make a good case for the fab 5.
Times change. The uniform I wore in HS in '68 would be "so gay" today. We didn't have a clue about that, and I'm burning my HS yearbook as soon as I log off of here.
If I was you, I'd keep them. Bobby Knight's entire 32-0 team wore shorts like that and I'd hate to tell him that he had a bunch of gay guys on his team. gs

plumber_greg":3ac89lb7 said:
john250":3ac89lb7 said:
If I was you, I'd keep them. Bobby Knight's entire 32-0 team wore shorts like that and I'd hate to tell him that he had a bunch of gay guys on his team. gs
Don't let " those people" make you burn anything. Stand your ground. Keep your year book and your sense of values. Be conservative. Be traditional. If it works, don't change it.

Good for Bobby Knight.

Along the same lines, what happened to basketball rules? Like palming the ball when dribbling? Travelling?? Saw a clip the other day where the guy went from center court to the goal carrying the ball and did a big slam dunk . And no call.

My real pet peeve is free throw shooting, which should be a gimme. Seems like I heard a while back that UT played a few games where they shot free throws at a 25 - 30% rate. When I get to be king of basketball, you wouldn't set foot on the floor if you couldn't shoot free throws at 90% or better.

Oh, and the goal will be raised to 15 feet.

Running Arrow Bill":4lbver24 said:
So what's with the "gang bangers" basketball "uniforms"... :dunce: :banana:

What's with the whole darn game? What happened to 1 &1/2 steps on a lay-up? What happened to dribbling with your hand on top of the ball? Heck, when I played, you didn't dare try to dribble behind your back or else it was considered "carrying".

The whole darn game isn't the same.

I could have dunked at 16 years old under today's rules. We had that 1 & 1/2 step rule back then.

Ryder":1db48oea said:
plumber_greg":1db48oea said:

This racist rhetoric should not be tolerated.

MF135":2ycmg5q4 said:
Ryder":2ycmg5q4 said:
plumber_greg":2ycmg5q4 said:

This racist rhetoric should not be tolerated.
Oh my. I forgot. :help: How silly of me.
There is no ethnicity. We are all the same and I guess all of a unisex orientation as well.

I am no longer a white, southern, confederate, redneck capable of seeing what is before me. :shock:
I am free from my shackles at long last. :banana:

(That'll be the day.)

Don't even think about making any judgements or voicing any opinions in the USA of today. :shock:

Might hurt somebody's feelings and/or damage their self-esteem. :tiphat:

Did you ever wonder where all this hypersensitivity came from? And when? And most importantly, WHY?

Jim62":vqx6g9bm said:
Don't even think about making any judgements or voicing any opinions in the USA of today. :shock:

Might hurt somebody's feelings and/or damage their self-esteem. :tiphat:

Did you ever wonder where all this hypersensitivity came from? And when? And most importantly, WHY?

You can voice any opinion you want. You will just be deemed ignorant at worst; uninformed at best. Your lack of education is responsible for your cognitive drawback. Blame yourself, don't hate. :clap:

Latest posts