what's best cattle breed for hot climate? (Philippines)

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Help! I want to know what cattle breeds would thrive best in a country with hot climate. The breeds that produce good carcass quality. And please any suggestion where I can buy a pair.
please help.
thank you so much.

mary j":1ucy7qwg said:
Help! I want to know what cattle breeds would thrive best in a country with hot climate. The breeds that produce good carcass quality. And please any suggestion where I can buy a pair.
please help.
thank you so much.

Native water buffalo make excellent eating and they're well acclimated

dun

Yes and they are a good beast to use for labor, but may be hard to find

I would say a Brahman Angus cross, a pure F1 not a bangus, or a straight Brahman cow herd AI'ed to an Angus Bull, should yeild a good carcass and tollerate that climate well,

If you have the space for a few and don't want to manage a bull, AI is the best way to go, otherwise you need a bull, and that is a pain in the butt

They get big and break stuff that they play with

Michelle Pankonien":1cronbtp said:
Yes and they are a good beast to use for labor, but may be hard to find

I would say a Brahman Angus cross, a pure F1 not a bangus, or a straight Brahman cow herd AI'ed to an Angus Bull, should yeild a good carcass and tollerate that climate well,

If you have the space for a few and don't want to manage a bull, AI is the best way to go, otherwise you need a bull, and that is a pain in the butt

They get big and break stuff that they play with

She specified the PI. Caribou are indigenous to there so they aren't hard to find. Look at any ricepaddy.

dun

Arnold Ziffle":l9hkzdw0 said:
Caribou (??) are indigenous to the Phillipines? Hard night last night, Dun? (ggg)

It's the common name for their water buffalo. The last syllable is pronouned bow not boo.

dun

We already have a few of the Native Water Buffalo you were reffering to me. Yes, they are good for labor but we want to try raising cattle of new breed. One which could give better carcass quality. I am pondering about Michelle's suggestion. Could you guys give me more info about Michelle's suggested breed? Or probably another breed you might suggest? It would be a big help.

Thank you so much.

We already have a few of the Native Water Buffalo you were reffering to me. Yes, they are good for labor but we want to try raising cattle of new breed. One which could give better carcass quality. I am pondering about Michelle's suggestion. Could you guys give me more info about Michelle's suggested breed? Or probably another breed you might suggest? It would be a big help.

Thank you so much.

I agree with Michelle.
Brahman cows AI to a Top Angus Bull would be the way to go for heat tolerence and carcass quality; both grade and yield.

la4angus":rhb7xqjr said:
I agree with Michelle.
Brahman cows AI to a Top Angus Bull would be the way to go for heat tolerence and carcass quality; both grade and yield.

Thank you guys for trying to help.

Do you know any cattle breeder/owner that might export to the Philippines? I'm having a hard time.

la4angus":3vkv22eb said:
I agree with Michelle.

Do you know any cattle breeder/owner that might export to the Philippines? I'm having a hard time.

if you are considering brahman, id contact HK Cattle Co. at http://www.hkcattle.com they are an international operation with excellent cattle. their price tags are quite hefty, so if you dont plan on paying top dollar, they might not be the right place. i have a calf sired by HKs legendary Passport, and im really impressed with it.

Anonymous":3kezptye said:
la4angus":3kezptye said:
I agree with Michelle.

Send me a PM

Simbrah might be a good option as well. The Texas Simbrah Simmental Association has many members that are involved in exporting.. we've sent some to Costa Rica and Argentina.

If it is realistic to raise british or continental breeds in the PI someone is already doing it. Check with the Department of Agriculture. I would think that whatever breeds are working in Hawaii would work there. Might not be a bad place to look to for your original stock. At least they would be acclimated although there might still be concerns about the forage base available.

dun

I have just started raising Bison about 2yrs ago. In Mississippi temp reach around 98 in the summers and the humidity is bad 8) . They seem to handle the heat well. I know a lot of cutting horse people and they prefer using bison for two reasons; 1. They can work a lot longer with them in the summer and the animal will not over heat, 2. They are a lot quicker than cows. My family raises cattle, and after seeing how well my bison do with minimal effort they are starting to want to include bison in their pastures. Another good thing about bison is they eat weeds. Bison will never replace cattle at the dinner table, but it is starting to show up. :cboy:

mary j":3ljqjzrs said:
please help.
thank you so much.
Senepol was developed in a Southern Island - which???? - This would be a good choice for you - if you are in a market that discounts the ear and navel like they do in Kentucky. Probably get a better carcass than some of the Brahman influence cattle.

There are many companies who specialize in the export cattle market. This is one we have worked with:

http://www.american-genetics.com/

But there are many more. With Brahmans the usual procedure is for the Department of Agriculture of the respective country to pool the cattle order and send a representative to America to shop for the cattle and then arrange for export of sizeable number of cattle. You might want to check with your Agricultural Minister.

Anonymous":19pbvn31 said:
la4angus":19pbvn31 said:
I agree with Michelle.

mary j":bh47pwxk said:
please help.
thank you so much.

I lived on the big island of Hawaii which has simular climate to the Philippines. The Parker Ranch has Registered Brangus that thrive in that climate. There are several breeders of Brangus in Hawaii that would export to the Philippines. Check with the International Brangus Breeders Association at 210-696-8231 or http://www.int-brangus.org for a listing of Hawaii breeders.

A Brangus is 3/8th Brahman and 5/8ths Angus and were developed by the USDA Experiment Station at Jeanerette, Louisiana for hot and humidit areas.

Latest posts