What's a reasonable price to you as the buyer?

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
Criteria:

1 - Currently open, with or without a calf at its side (obviously those with a calf will cost a bit more)
2 - 3yrs to 7yrs old ... at least one good calf raised all the way to weaning per year starting with their third birthday (calve at two, wean at nearly three ... etc ...)
3 - Good feet, udder, teeth and temperament
4 - FS 4-5 and a BCS of 5-6

...what would you look to pay private treaty for a group of 5-15 commercial cows fitting that description from a trusted seller (meaning you know you're not going to get a cobbled-together group of sales barn rejects)?

There are 2 young kids just getting started in 4H/FFA that are buying 10 pair to get started. I'm only charging them 1800 a pair. These range from first calvers through 5th calvers.
They agreed to 2100 a pir but since they're just getting started I knocked off the 300 a pair

dun":1820yjjr said:
There are 2 young kids just getting started in 4H/FFA that are buying 10 pair to get started.
They must have a dam good lemonade stand.
For them to have put that kind of money together at their age cattle are a waste of their talents.

Son of Butch":1ydivp95 said:
dun":1ydivp95 said:
There are 2 young kids just getting started in 4H/FFA that are buying 10 pair to get started.
They must have a dam good lemonade stand.
For them to have put that kind of money together at their age cattle are a waste of their talents.
They each got a FSA loan for beginners for 5k each and their dad is coughing up the rest

dun":3d1pgu0s said:
There are 2 young kids just getting started in 4H/FFA that are buying 10 pair to get started. I'm only charging them 1800 a pair. These range from first calvers through 5th calvers.
They agreed to 2100 a pir but since they're just getting started I knocked off the 300 a pair

Are your girls registered? How old/big are the calves?

I'm trying to figure out the value of a group of open-but-definitely-take-them-back-to-the-farm type of mama cows.

WalnutCrest":11d77oma said:
Criteria:

1 - Currently open, with or without a calf at its side (obviously those with a calf will cost a bit more)
2 - 3yrs to 7yrs old ... at least one good calf raised all the way to weaning per year starting with their third birthday (calve at two, wean at nearly three ... etc ...)

...what would you look to pay private treaty for a group of 5-15 commercial cows fitting that description from a trusted seller (meaning you know you're not going to get a cobbled-together group of sales barn rejects)?
Et cows? $1000 per head to $1 a lb would be fair.

RanchMan90":w4ulrfej said:
WalnutCrest":w4ulrfej said:
Criteria:

Yes, looking at future recips ... buying out of a fall calving herd. Breeder has a tight live cover window; his best opens (cows only, no open heifers) the next spring are available to me as recip candidates.

Caustic Burno":1hqxiat5 said:
callmefence":1hqxiat5 said:
kenny thomas":1hqxiat5 said:
If they are open without a calf at their side they are worth slaughter price.

That's right. If she ain't got a calf wth is she doing open.

Open cow no matter the breeding isn't worth a dried up monkey turd to me.

I pretty much feel the same. They won't go in with my herd...but

If you gotta a bunch of good grass that's not going get used. Cant get anyone to roll it etc. And you don't wanna mess with calfs. You can make a check buying some skinny opens really cheap and putting some condition on em. Never even turn in a bull. Sell em right back through the kill pen. I personally would rather do it with breds. But sometimes poor opens can be had really cheap.

I wouldnt invest in a bunch of non breeders to make recipes, id want the fertile ones at the front end of calving.
I'm like everyone else, slaughter price.

Something I've recently run across ....it depends on WHY she's open.....infertility on her part may not have been the problem.

WC, how long do you keep these recip cows, I am unfamiliar with the process? Are you having good luck with them on the following breeding season, then they start falling back, or does the recip thing not as high pressure situation? All in all, I think it breaks down as to how bad you want/like them, obviously. It doesn't take much of a toe stubbing to knock one out of a 45 season. Trying to "stretch them out" a little too far on the hay/old hay/a little tougher calving/minerals, etc. can do it easy enough I think.

If they work for ya then maybe worth a little more, for me I put to much money in embryos to buy somebody culls. Anymore I just try and find a good bunch of somebody's cows and use them and buy the calves at weaning!

RanchMan90":hisxz07m said:
WalnutCrest":hisxz07m said:
Criteria:

Last week slaughter cows here were .61 - .74
IF I wanted them 1-5 cents over top slaughter cows... .75- 80 cents max

Latest posts