Whats a reasonable price for registered hereford heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
I have been shopping registered hereford heifers 12-15 months old. Cant find anything except 4 skinny ones that are under $1800 in Texas, some up to $2200. Is this normal? I went to look at some registered bred cows for $1800. Turns out they were 9-10 years old. I wont buy one that old. This lady knew Caustic Burno. Small world in Big Texas. Are registered hereford heifers the gold of the industry? Seems a little high, even compared to registered charolais and angus/brangus. Is this the industry average? Thats almost double auction price.

BK9954":3s0kwa3d said:
I have been shopping registered hereford heifers 12-15 months old. Cant find anything except 4 skinny ones that are under $1800 in Texas, some up to $2200. Is this normal? I went to look at some registered bred cows for $1800. Turns out they were 9-10 years old. I wont buy one that old. This lady knew Caustic Burno. Small world in Big Texas. Are registered hereford heifers the gold of the industry? Seems a little high, even compared to registered charolais and angus/brangus. Is this the industry average?

If you went where I think you went out of Yokuam Texas you have seen the gold standard IMO .
That lady is the only place I have went through the south that had better cows than mine.
Went to plenty of places they were as good.
She is the only place I will buy a Hereford bull since the owner of the Circle C died.

Try these people they run some of my stuff had good cattle

https://m.facebook.com/eilerscattleco/

Caustic Burno":2rlgait1 said:
BK9954":2rlgait1 said:
I have been shopping registered hereford heifers 12-15 months old. Cant find anything except 4 skinny ones that are under $1800 in Texas, some up to $2200. Is this normal? I went to look at some registered bred cows for $1800. Turns out they were 9-10 years old. I wont buy one that old. This lady knew Caustic Burno. Small world in Big Texas. Are registered hereford heifers the gold of the industry? Seems a little high, even compared to registered charolais and angus/brangus. Is this the industry average?

If you went where I think you went out of Yokuam Texas you have seen the gold standard IMO .
That lady is the only place I have went through the south that had better cows than mine.
Went to plenty of places they were as good.
She is the only place I will buy a Hereford bull since the owner of the Circle C died.

Try these people they run some of my stuff had good cattle

https://m.facebook.com/eilerscattleco/
No, Trina said call her sometime, she is about 20 minutes from me. Decent cows but wouldnt sell anything young. She did introduce me to a local breeder 8 minutes from my house which helped me significantly so it wasn't a wasted trip.

Caustic Burno":2ysvca0v said:
Rockin 4 H the K-K,Rocking W carried some good cattle as well.
Here is the list of Texas Breeders
http://txpha.org/members/
I still think Prause was the best of them all IMO.
I spoke with him today. He invited me over. Real nice guy from speaking with him. He has heifers and 2 year olds for sale. Only 1 hour away.

BK9954":2sdbg9mf said:
I have been shopping registered hereford heifers 12-15 months old. Cant find anything except 4 skinny ones that are under $1800 in Texas, some up to $2200. Is this normal? I went to look at some registered bred cows for $1800. Turns out they were 9-10 years old. I wont buy one that old. This lady knew Caustic Burno. Small world in Big Texas. Are registered hereford heifers the gold of the industry? Seems a little high, even compared to registered charolais and angus/brangus. Is this the industry average? Thats almost double auction price.
Where are you going with this? Golden certified f1s or purebred herf?

Purebred herf with a couple commercial brahman for some tigerstripe calves as well. Have a registered bull, why not use it to my advantage.

$2500+ US would be the average price up here for premium registered open yearling heifers from a top notch operation. Lots sell in the spring and range from $2500 to $6000 CDN. Almost bought a bargain heifer at sale for $2700 CDN, but the price went over $3k and I was out. Commercial straightbred heifers are much cheaper - papers with the right pedigree add a lot of value to the price.

Supa Dexta":3oj41wx0 said:
Aaron":3oj41wx0 said:
papers with the right pedigree add a lot of cost to the price.

Papers don't cost much. But the value a person puts on them is what drives the price up. If he isn't going the registered route, he might as well buy straight breds.

I don't know about Hereford sales but I watch most of the brangus sales and there's deals to be had on bred and 3n1 cows if your willing to sit through sales.

Dsteim":3twbvgix said:
I don't know about Hereford sales but I watch most of the brangus sales and there's deals to be had on bred and 3n1 cows if your willing to sit through sales.
Yeah a lot of the brangus seem to be going cheaper then others. Its tempting to buy more and I love my brangus girls but money is the bottom line and I am spending almost the same feed per animal no matter what I run. I figure get some that are selling higher.

BK9954":1n9twbms said:
Purebred herf with a couple commercial brahman for some tigerstripe calves as well. Have a registered bull, why not use it to my advantage.
Here's why
The ABA even discourages that cross of Brahman over Hereford due to BW concern.
The bull calfs are behemoth
I am a Brahman fan but your plan has O Shyt all over it especially with heifers

https://www.brahman.org/PDFs/Reciprocal ... rences.pdf

Caustic Burno":28foimg7 said:
BK9954":28foimg7 said:
Here's why
The ABA even discourages that cross of Brahman over Hereford due to BW concern.
The bull calfs are behemoth
I am a Brahman fan but your plan has O Shyt all over it especially with heifers

https://www.brahman.org/PDFs/Reciprocal ... rences.pdf
I have a hereford bull. I want a mix of both Reg herf and comm. brahm. cows. My bull is a virgin but EPD of +5 on BW. His BW was 80 pounds. I wouldnt use him on heifers, but I dont have a brahman bull. I am already a member of the AHA. I sent my brangus bull to the auction.

That is the way to do the tiger breeding.
As far as wanting registered Hereford if you go that route there are two options first class and baggage.
You will be selling your name with any Hereford you sell.
The Hereford association is a PIA as far as i concerned unless your just looking to be a pedigree breeder.
The AHA and I parted ways over there crooked crap after two decades.
Your actually better off buying registered Brahman and selling or keeping the certified golden.

Caustic Burno":3v628x6s said:
That is the way to do the tiger breeding.
As far as wanting registered Hereford if you go that route there are two options first class and baggage.
You will be selling your name with any Hereford you sell.
The Hereford association is a PIA as far as i concerned unless your just looking to be a pedigree breeder.
The AHA and I parted ways over there crooked crap after two decades.
Your actually better off buying registered Brahman and selling or keeping the certified golden.
Theres and idea, brahman are on the menu, registered are higher then herefords. Whats wrong with the AHA and dont you need them to list and track EPD'S?

Latest posts