What's a ranch ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
As I was headed back I saw a for sale sign and searched for it.
This place will probably run in the neighborhood of a 100 cows plus bulls and horses.
That's a little over 24K per aum to buy in.
Other parts of the country a half section or less will carry the same amount of cows
Are they both ranches although one is only a 1/2 mile x 1 mile long or less and everything can be done on foot ?

http://m.landsoftexas.com/property/0-Co ... 70/2553253

Definition for ranch vary from state to state.
Generally ranches consist of low quality agricultural land that is poorly suited for productive crop farming for its
location. However in some states use has no bearing i.e. a California vegetable ranch.

Here as well. There are a few that try it but they give up pretty quick, or continue to sound like they're trying too hard to be cool.

Ranch has a certain uniqueness and size to it. Large acres, poor ground, rough. We have plenty of that here but most of it's still in woods.

Don't matter too much. Call it what you want to, it's your deal.

Big fancy entrance with something like El Rancho Grande or Lonesome Dove sign, or owner's name over it.
Owner's or ranch's name on the vehicles' doors.
Fancy shirts with the ranch's name over the pocket. (this is so they don't forget their own dang name or forget which pickup truck is their's in a Walmart or TSC parking lot)
:lol: :hide:

callmefence":zsmx7vjz said:
TennesseeTuxedo":zsmx7vjz said:
callmefence":zsmx7vjz said:
If you can park on a hill a not see anything that's not yours in any direction. You gotta ranch. Otherwise you gotta place.

Hot diggity dawg! I'm a rancher!!!

Open the garage door tux ;-)

Perimeter surrounded by mature trees makes that disks for many ... open garage door or not.

A ranch ... maybe it's a place that's bigger than anything you ever really thought you'd own. Each man's home is his castle, after all.

callmefence":2i7cbl1w said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2i7cbl1w said:
callmefence":2i7cbl1w said:
If you can park on a hill a not see anything that's not yours in any direction. You gotta ranch. Otherwise you gotta place.

Hot diggity dawg! I'm a rancher!!!

Open the garage door tux ;-)

Lol, foiled again.

HDRider":1sa3r4ux said:
I have a ranchette,,, and a couple of ratchets....
f4f6bc0becea072496cb0d9fa6f2b088.jpg

f4f6bc0becea072496cb0d9fa6f2b088.jpg

Oh, wait, you said ratchets...

Years ago I was sitting in a "urban cowboy" bar talking to a Montana friend of mine. I know that he was raised on a 800 cow ranch in Western Montana, He was working for the federal land bank at that time. Thsi is right after work and he was dressed like a banker, 3 piece suit and tie. Up come the guy who ran the mechanical bull and sits down. He starts in with at the ranch this and at the ranch that. Eventually the Montana guy says how big is this ranch. Urban cowboy replies, "eleven acres". To which my Montana friend quietly replies, "calving must be a b!tch." Went right over urbans head and I almost fell out of my chair.

A ranch runs cattle, a farm is cultivated. We are kind of both since we run cattle and grow trees. But I call our place a ranch.

Latest posts