whats a good breed to start with

Help Support CattleToday:

SuperX,
It depends on what part of Florida you are in? If you are in Southern/Central Florida then Brahman influenced cattle do real well, if you are in Northwest Florida they take a pretty big hit at the auction.
Yes Angus cattle do pretty well up this way as long as you have a few shade trees. You will have more sucess calving in the fall than in the spring here as well.

Killala":aoznlmm8 said:
SHORTHORNS!! No doubt about it.
Killala- When selecting a BREED for ANY reason, there is always a "doubt about it!" There are so many factors to take into consideration when selecting a breed of cattle with which to begin one's BU$INE$$ that it is blatant foolishness to make a dogmatic statement such as you have done here because of the differences AND similarities in bovine breeds! I see that you are new to the Q&A Board today, and I welcome you to the group - you have a wonderful opportunity to learn facts that you probably did not know existed about ALL facets of Beef Cattle Production. Look on the green pane to the left of the Front Page of the CattleToday site, scroll down to "Archives" and Search for discussions of Beef Breeds and which breeds are suitable for different purposes and WHY they are desirable.

I have no ax to grind in regards to the SHORTHORN Cattle Breed, however there are positives and negatives to ALL breeds, and one should be aware of them before making a "life changing" decision prior to spending time and money in the selection and then, at a later date, realize that you had "Leaped before you had Learned."

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":7ih9izoh said:
Killala":7ih9izoh said:
Killala- When selecting a BREED for ANY reason, there is always a "doubt about it!" There are so many factors to take into consideration when selecting a breed of cattle with which to begin one's BU$INE$$ that it is blatant foolishness to make a dogmatic statement such as you have done here because of the differences AND similarities in bovine breeds! I see that you are new to the Q&A Board today, and I welcome you to the group - you have a wonderful opportunity to learn facts that you probably did not know existed about ALL facets of Beef Cattle Production. Look on the green pane to the left of the Front Page of the CattleToday site, scroll down to "Archives" and Search for discussions of Beef Breeds and which breeds are suitable for different purposes and WHY they are desirable.

I have no ax to grind in regards to the SHORTHORN Cattle Breed, however there are positives and negatives to ALL breeds, and one should be aware of them before making a "life changing" decision prior to spending time and money in the selection and then, at a later date, realize that you had "Leaped before you had Learned."

DOC HARRIS

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed. DOC HARRIS, all I can say is GET OVER IT. I find it extremely unfair that you would jump down my throat like that WITH NO GOOD REASON. I suggest you go back to bed and return when you are in a better mood. I see no issue in supporting my breed of preference, and by no means did I insinuate that there may not be better options. This is purely my opinion, to which I am entitled to have, as you are to yours. Don't make assumptions without a grounding. And don't judge me.

I see you are a former Ag teacher. I must say that explains alot.

Have a nice day.

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed. DOC HARRIS, all I can say is GET OVER IT. I find it extremely unfair that you would jump down my throat like that WITH NO GOOD REASON
Wh-e-w-w-w-w! I guess you told me!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":53ue814h said:
Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed. DOC HARRIS, all I can say is GET OVER IT. I find it extremely unfair that you would jump down my throat like that WITH NO GOOD REASON

DOC HARRIS

I'm guessing it's about time someone did.

Depends on where you plan to market your cattle. For instance, at teh local salebarn today, there were several longhorns that brought 41 cents a lb (this is not the area to have longhorns). Go to some of the salebarns around you and see what consistently brings a good price. If you want a docile breed then use disposition as one of your selection criterias, every breed out there will have a looney somewhere in someone's pasture.

Killala":1apcc814 said:
DOC HARRIS":1apcc814 said:

DOC HARRIS

Killala,

Welcome to the boards, I see that your new. Doc is a well respected member of the Cattle Today boards and has given lots of very good advice here. There aren't an abundance of people who will "tell it like is is", but Doc is one of them. When you get mad at someone for posting something directed at you, take a deep breath, and think about your reply first.

Having said that, back with the string. I would say Brangus, no doubt. I mean Brangus, that's my opinion ;-) ;-) ;-)

If it were me, being that far south, I would go with Braford cows and an Angus or Charolais bull, or Brangus cows with a Hereford or red Simmental or Gelbvieh bull. If you are keeping your own heifer replacements, I would stick with the British breed bulls the first cross, then come back in a few years after you have replaced most of your original cows with a bull of the original cow breed (Braford or Brangus). With a little work, you can find a way to market those calves so that they don't get docked much if any because of the ear.

The heaviest calves will come from using the Continental bulls in most cases, plus the calves will usually have better muscle expression. It's hard to beat the Charolais/Braford cross for low production cost and pounds at weaning.

Remember, some calves bring more per pound at the sale, but it sometimes costs more to get that kind of calf to the sale. Cow maintenance and longevity are big considerations, and the Braford and Brangus cows simply last longer on average. In the long run, you can usually afford a few $/cwt on the calves in exchange for the lower overall cost of running those cows. You just need to remember not to push the Brahman cross cows when you work them. They behave like a cross between horses and cattle. They need to be led, not pushed.

cypressfarms":2ueo0uv0 said:
Killala":2ueo0uv0 said:
DOC HARRIS":2ueo0uv0 said:

DOC HARRIS

Killala,

Welcome to the boards, I see that your new. Doc is a well respected member of the Cattle Today boards and has given lots of very good advice here. There aren't an abundance of people who will "tell it like is is", but Doc is one of them. When you get mad at someone for posting something driected at you, take a deep breath, and think about your reply first.

Having said that, back with the string. I would say Brangus, no doubt. I mean Brangus, that's my opinion ;-) ;-) ;-)

Cypress, I am someone who can take positive criticism, which is why I was terribly offended by the above person. I don't believe there was any good advice in his message at all... simply trying to assert some sort of authority over a new member. I don't apologise for my comments.

i read nothing offensive in DOCS post, i agree there is always DOUBT when selecting a breed, and your statement NO DOUBT ABOUT it was the source of Doc's statement!
go back and read past posts from the man and try eating a little humble pie, he knows what he speaks of
IMHO

lol, I did do some research and found that the attitude doesn't appear to change anywhere. I'm not here to argue, and quite frankly this is ridiculous, but if someone can't look closely at a post and see the humour behind it, that's not my problem. I don't see that I should defend myself for adding a little light-heartedness to a conversation.... as have several others. There is no "humble pie" to be eaten, when there is no substance whatsoever to the discussion.
Really, what can I say? Build a bridge...

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":b6te252c said:
Yeah that is also one thing I have learned about aussie women. They are firecrackers for sure. ;-) No offense :)

Lol :lol: yes, we are!!
None taken, thanks for lightening the tone a little! :p :D

I'm a big fan of the Maine-Anjou breed. Been breeding them for Show Calves and Breeding Bulls for 15 years. I would suggest to anyone aiming to get into the Registered cattle business to give the Maines a close look. The docility of the breed alone is a huge benefit. The cattle do well in a wide variety of climatic conditions. They are Great milkers, as well as Great cutters, and calves are born with lots of leg, length, and narrow heads.

For anyone who has children interested in cattle, the American Junior Maine-Anjou Association is "Top Notch", and has some fantastic programs for the Junior members.

There are six Florida Breeders listed in the AMAA directory.
http://www.maine-anjou.org

I would go with Herfs. A new cowherd probably does not need to start with Brafords or any eared cattle. Herefords have been in Florida for 90 years so I don't think the heat is a huge issue and you can always breed your Hereford mamas to a Braford, Brangus, or Gert bull if you want to add some ear later.

Beefy":y6phdjr2 said:
Yeah right! Herefords in Florida sounds like a great idea. *sarcasm*

If you want the look of hereford, for florida i'd recommend beefmasters ( you can get white-faced ones if you want ) or braford (just make sure they are sane). Brangus would be another good option if you are open to black cattle. Again, make sure they are sane.

Originally being from Florida; I can assure you Beefy is right and the further south you go in Florida the "more right" he is! You need some ear in that heat and humidity.

Norris

Killala":1jrne7h8 said:

Killala: When I first discovered this place, I wrote a joking piece about boycotting Charolais and Limousin cattle because they came from France and every patriotic American should boycott all French products. Doc and others jumped on me because they thought I was serious. Then I started using the emoticons. :idea: It gives people a better idea of where you are coming from. :D

Brandonm2":1e4gkzws said:
I would go with Herfs. A new cowherd probably does not need to start with Brafords or any eared cattle. Herefords have been in Florida for 90 years so I don't think the heat is a huge issue and you can always breed your Hereford mamas to a Braford, Brangus, or Gert bull if you want to add some ear later.

We had a herd of Herefords in Notheast Florida some 40 years ago. The flys and resulting pinkeye/cancereye was a nightmare! Would certainly not recommend Hereford for that area.

Norris

Killala":1czr9sz6 said:
DOC HARRIS":1czr9sz6 said:

DOC HARRIS

no actually DOC'S right. you don't blurt out a breed for someone to use like you got terets syndrone ;-)

Jack Ward wrote a timely article last year in which he said that the cancer eye etc problems were a result of a lack of using the knife when demand for Herefords was at high levels. Now, of the top 20 most used sires in the breed, less than 1% are culled with eye problems if I recall correctly. There are more culled due to old age than any of the problems that critics love to drag up.

greenwillowherefords":1k7gld7e said:
Jack Ward wrote a timely article last year in which he said that the cancer eye etc problems were a result of a lack of using the knife when demand for Herefords was at high levels. Now, of the top 20 most used sires in the breed, less than 1% are culled with eye problems if I recall correctly. There are more culled due to old age than any of the problems that critics love to drag up.

Florida has a climate worse than the Texas Gulf Coast; nothing like Oklahoma or Northeast Texas. Heat, humidity and flies galore! IMO, anyone having cattle in Florida without ear is just asking for trouble.

Norris