What's a fair price for pasture clipping?

Help Support CattleToday:

bob g

Reaction score
I have been talking to a fellow that I want to clip a 60 acre pasture. It's open pasture and he can move over it at a reasonable pace. He's got a 14'-16' Bushhog. He is a neighbor and friend. I want to be fair with him and myself, and do not want to be insulting with a price. Any of you cow folk down here in the Southeast got suggestions? Thanks in advance.

ps...when I asked him what would he charge, he said "Bob, that's just up to you."

30 cents an hour per HP plus fuel.

If you can get it for under 10.00 bucks an acre I would recommend you never buy your own.

Someone pulling a 14 foot bush hog has some decent money tied up - he takes all the risk and he is not using a 30 HP tractor - I pull an 8 foot Rhino behind 70 HP and sometimes behind a 90 HP if the ground is tough

Pay by the hour and add a bit for the fuel and he will leave happy

But, it is up to you.

Heck work it off in shares - go fix his fence

Bez+

Red Bull Breeder":384gwodr said:
I have been charging 18.00 a acre, or 35.00 a hour.
Red Bull what seize hog do you have? Sounds cheap to me. I have done a few hour out this year. We have a 15ft got 80 per hr. We could do more but our country is too rough to have fun doing it.

Got a friend w/ 20 ft bat wing & 125-135 HP tractor 4WD, w/duels on rear, I year ago was getting $135 per hour, Said he does 15 - 20+ acers per hour!

10-e-c-dirtfarmer":34umcdqx said:
Got a friend w/ 20 ft bat wing & 125-135 HP tractor 4WD, w/duels on rear, I year ago was getting $135 per hour, Said he does 15 - 20+ acers per hour!
You know here the state boys got a 20 ft bat wing as well I never thought they were wasting taxpayer dollars before. But after hearing you say your friend mows at 8 miles an hour that is 400% faster than the state boys go on a good day. Typical of hourly employees. I just would never have guessed a person could go that fast and yet do a good job with a bat wing.

options":1w4ar4gc said:
10-e-c-dirtfarmer":1w4ar4gc said:
You know here the state boys got a 20 ft bat wing as well I never thought they were wasting taxpayer dollars before. But after hearing you say your friend mows at 8 miles an hour that is 400% faster than the state boys go on a good day. Typical of hourly employees. I just would never have guessed a person could go that fast and yet do a good job with a bat wing.

8 MPH is that what it works out to? That sounds a little fast! But he does run everthing faster than me, but he is fast & smooth, no matter what he's on dozer, tractor. When I try to run 90% as fast as him, I'll get a fence or something!

10-e-c-dirtfarmer":1sufvptb said:
LOL @ 15 to 20 acres per hour --what is he smoking while on this trip?

edrsimms":3oqwl0ro said:
LOL @ 15 to 20 acres per hour --what is he smoking while on this trip?

ED, 15 A. per hour is 6.25 mph w/ some overlap , that's not out of reason! After some thought 8+ mph on some fields, or parts of some smooth of fields, is not that unreasonable. I usually mow hay with a trailed disc mower at 5.7 to 6.2 mph on my best fields.

I've been mowin pastures with a 15 ft and 20 ft batwing, I don't mow but about 4mph, if it's any faster, it leaves trash that will stand back up later. I charge $10 hr. using the other guys equipment. But my hubby does all repair work on the tractors and shredders. The fella pays for the parts, plus pays hubby by the hour for his work on them. I mowed about 5000 acres last year for this one fella, and had minimal breakdowns goin that speed. He's had others that mow fast, and tear stuff up faster than it can be repaired.

You and hubby have a really unique arrangement with customers.
For what it is worth, I just looked at an Indiana Custom Rates survey and the range is $6 to $11/acre for bushogging.

That's just one customer, if I were to shred for him year round I'd never get it all done by myself. I could start in the spring and still be goin come next spring LOL

Latest posts