What's a bull worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":3mfm58oc said:
I tend to think that alot of AI sires never live up to there reputation.

I think there's some truth in your statement in young unproven bulls. However, once a body of information on a bull's progeny has come from a wide array of sources, the picture of what you can expect by using him becomes pretty clear. Once EPD accuracy reaches .8 or higher, I think you can use a bull with some confidence. You might still contact someone who used the bull a lot to get the WHOLE story - because EPDs definitely do not tell the whole story.

Personally, I prefer not to use AI bulls until they have some daughters in production, because I'm going to be using them with the idea of retaining their heifers in my herd.

If a cattleman is set up to do it, AI'ing a cow herd to PROVEN AI sires is the fastest, most predictable, and cheapest way to a better set of calves - and ultimately a better herd of cows.

George

Sounds like Coleman Creek is a dues paying member of the "Bull of the Month Club". Cow herd is probably a hodge-podge of different lines. There is a difference between a BREEDER and a multiplier.

WichitaLineMan":3ovq43ne said:
Sounds like Coleman Creek is a dues paying member of the "Bull of the Month Club". Cow herd is probably a hodge-podge of different lines. There is a difference between a BREEDER and a multiplier.

I wonder if he is strictly a grass feeder versus a grain feeder. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Report this postReply with quoteRe: What's a bull worth?
by Aero on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:08 pm

Cattleman200 wrote:
Im curious to know how many of these bulls you are selling at present time? Do you have any cattle at all now?

Circle H Ranch

our family operation dispersed 250 head of registered Angus 18 months ago. moved into a mainly commercial operation selling quite a few commercial calves and 15-20 terminal Angus bulls/yr. as for my special projects: the maternal Angus herd is very young and has a long ways to go, while the Aubrac herd is proving out nicely and growing with one test group (23 hd) of commercial Angus females dropping Aubrac sired calves right now.

Can I ask why you dispersed the Angus herd and why are you raising strictly terminal Angus bulls?

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman200":22swf8h1 said:
Can I ask why you dispersed the Angus herd and why are you raising strictly terminal Angus bulls?

Circle H Ranch

dispersed because there is a lot of income and almost as much expense when you run a seedstock operation "the way you should" (quo), and not enough profit to make the effort worth it. commercial animals make just as much money for us with 1/3 of the work.

we have terminal Angus bulls because that's pretty much all that's out there in the high end Angus seedstock world. they aren't "strictly" terminal to most folks, lots of people would tell you how maternal the same genetics are. i just know what maternal cattle are and mainstream/modern Angus genetics aren't it.

Latest posts