What'll Kill Horsenettle?

Help Support CattleToday:

mudfork

Reaction score
It's a banner year for horsenettle here. Is there anything I can spray that will kill the nettle, but not clover? Thanks.

No. What will take out the horsenettle is going to get or prevent clover from germinating. Look at the labels on Surmount, Pastureguard or Chapparal to see how long you need to wait until you can plant clover.

You may have to sacrifice the clover in the short term to really get the horsenettle. I used Grazon and Remedy mixed and it really hammered the horsenettle, now there is only an occasiaonl plant, but the clover came back with a vengence.

The clover came back the following year or did it recover at some point after spraying?

shaz":1sexwznt said:
The clover came back the following year or did it recover at some point after spraying?
Came back some that year but really came on strong the following year. I think that may have been because of the lack of competition from the horse nettle

We have seen this also, the clover came back most likely because there was an abundant seed bank in the soil. Most of the time if there is not a lot of horsenettle we just spot spray using Grazon P+D, or should I say my wife does this. But we have one field that is just terrible and will spray the entire field and hope the seed back is good and it will come back. Our clover is Durana white clover.

Billy

Latest posts