WHAT?!?!?

Help Support CattleToday:

herefordkid

Reaction score
I was recently told with regard to my views on breeding stock that structure is a thing of the past. However i feel that if we lose structure we lose production. I was just wondering if this was a common thought process or if this is just a cranky old rancher lookin for trouble.

herefordkid":ez22ghis said:
I was recently told with regard to my views on breeding stock that structure is a thing of the past. However i feel that if we lose structure we lose production. I was just wondering if this was a common thought process or if this is just a cranky old rancher lookin for trouble.

I think we need to use a combination of structure and numbers. Here is where the knowledge and experience of the breeder comes in.

When technology offered new tools you use them in addition to the old time visual evaluations.

Jim

Don't get me wrong I love numbers they are just one tool in the chest though. I am more apt to buy an animal that may be stronger from a phenotypical stand point.

Who said THAT???? Structure obviously plays a role if you are evaluating whether or not a virgin bull/heifer is going to ever live up to the promise of his/her pedigree/ EPDs. If she can't move freely she isn't going too hold up over time no matter what her EPDs promise.

Brandonm22":3fys86gn said:
Who said THAT???? Structure obviously plays a role if you are evaluating whether or not a virgin bull/heifer is going to ever live up to the promise of his/her pedigree/ EPDs. If she can't move freely she isn't going too hold up over time no matter what her EPDs promise.

It was a cranky old rancher here in my area I'm not sure if he misunderstood me or if he is just crazy.

herefordkid":2xzliyi2 said:

Maybe he was referring to how it is a thing of the past in the sense it is something not stressed as much today by some?

herefordkid":391rrzdl said:
Don't get me wrong I love numbers they are just one tool in the chest though. I am more apt to buy an animal that may be stronger from a phenotypical stand point.
I think there are many who select animals in this manner. The problem is animals can be grown out to look like a nice looking critter when in fact genetically they are less than superior. I see this a lot when going to bull sales. The seedstock producers feed there bulls a spicy ration and the bull grows out to be a good looking animal. This is where EPD's should be included in the decision. EPD's will give you a good idea on what the bull is going to produce. So in my opinion phenotype is nice but it doesn't pull any more weight than genotype. They both must be what I want before I'll ever consider buying the animal. Structure is important, I don't care what anybody says.

Structure trumps numbers, pedigree, dna, etc everytime. If an animal can't walk it doesn't matter what he reads. Their are to many bad footed animals out there that are either culled at a young age or suffer in the feedlot after they get heavy. And lots of times, these bad footed animals pass on these genetics before they are cullled.

Latest posts