What you need to do

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
You ever have folks come by your farm and tell you what you need to do? Usually these are the folks that dont have a farm or take care of anything except getting there yard grass cut.
I recently scraped up the money to change out the tin on the top of my barn. I picked the top because I only had limited money and this is where most of the rain tends to fall. One of these experts on what I needed to do came by and said that the barn roof looked good but I needed to change the tin on the sides of the barn as well. :mad:
The other day another one noticed that a few pieces of equipment werent under the shed. I pointed out that I had more equipment than shed. What do you think he told me? Well what you need to do is build you another shed? :idea: Wow, I never thought of that.
Just wondering if Mr "you need to" had ever stopped by your place?

I've found that there's never any shortage of people who are ready and willing to give advice on how you should be doing things on the farm or otherwise. One fellow we hunt with is always giving my kids advice on how they can make money and be successful. The guy has a yard that's full of junk, a pile of debt, an old house and some pretty poor looking cows. So I use this as a life lesson for my kids. There's piles of advice out there, but good advice is hard to come by. I've always believed that if you want to do something well, look closely at the guys who are successful at whatever it is you are trying to do and just do that.

Mr. "you needs to's" relatives are alive and well. "you oughta", "you shoulda", "You better". I think I may have seen another one of that bunch as well, "He shouldn't be in the cattle business", or whatever the subject is.

Usually these folks have not grown up and have an ego problem which they are trying to feed by criticizing someone else.

I have found it best just to remind my self that "they" have a problem and not take it on as mine.

Have run into that problem myself but from a different angle. It's usually an old retired livestock man. He drives around looking at what everyone is doing and then stops in to "visit". I think he really misses having his own operation and being able to do the work. He stops with his "you aughta" as a reason to be there and open up a conversation. Usually humor him and make his day by asking his advice. Draw back is that it makes him feel more welcome to offer additional advice. Usually can end it by saying we'll keep that in mind when we have the money and time to do more.

I got one of those guys around the farm. He can talk the ears off a country mule :lol: .
A friend of mine has a sign and a real nice turn around spot about half way down the road to his barn. The sign says, " If you werent invited turn around here"

denoginnizer":18bsq5aa said:
A friend of mine has a sign and a real nice turn around spot about half way down the road to his barn. The sign says, " If you werent invited turn around here"

Our driveway serves the same purpose. It's not quite 1/2 mile long and rough from all of the exposed caprock. Folks don;t generally get this far if they don;t have to.

dun

I have one of those also. My wife calls them Mom and Dad. This is a little mean spirited but they are two of the stupidest people in the world. They try hard. I guesse they make it up by being the two sweetest in the world.

Scotty

Once I went to work for a wrecker company. I was young and green and had neverbeen in a wrecker before. I was told to get in that truck right there and go get a car that morning. After finally finding the wreck scene I backed the truck up to the car in the ditch. A man came up and said You need to do it this way. Another man came up and said do it another way. A third man came up and said do it a differant way still. I kinda combined all three methods and got the car out of the ditch. While filling out the paperwork these same three men approached and said. "You did a great job, how long have you been doing this?" I said "this is my first one." I started this morning, when I ask my boss for directions he said " don't worry about, their will be at least 3 a$$????? come up and tell you how."

No, the above story is not true I have never even been in a wrecker. It is just a story I tell sometimes when I get the occasion.

The only person, I can think of right now, that would say "what you need to do" is my Wife, But generally if I wait long enough she does it. :lol:

I guess the only thing worse than somebody always saying "you need to…" is somebody always saying "you should have…" There will always be Monday morning quarterbacks. ha

Craig-TX

denoginnizer":3ifgbl0r said:
I got one of those guys around the farm. He can talk the ears off a country mule :lol: .

i need one of these signs, bad. seems like they always come when you are in the middle of doing something important that they can mess up. we have a problem with people coming to go fishing too.

The few times that sort of thing has happened at our place, my husband will hand over the tool or equipment or whatever and say "here, you do it then". Amazing how those folks stop coming by if they are put to work.

I had a old farmer stop by one day and tell me that I sure had some nice looking cattle but I needed to hurry and get em all dehorned. I breed Longhorns..... :D

i think those people that always tell someone to dehorn longhorns doesn't know you can get a 100 dollars for the horns later. not to mention they wouldn't be longhorns without them

Latest posts