What would....

Help Support CattleToday:

Doc, I'm a Murray Grey Breeder (purebred)... I think once someone sent me a pic of the different crosses.... let me see if I can find it and I'll post it...

OK... Army Doc... if you do a search, I did a post once on "Murray Grey X's"... it should come up for you. Do you have Murray Grey's or Red Angus? I'm real partial to my "greys" so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

I did a search on "Murray Gray X's" as you suggested, but it ignores the X's and returns 101 pages. Do you have a link?

I don't have anything right now. I live in Georgia, and hope to move to some land in the next couple of years. Hoping to be on 50 acres. We ran about a half dozen to a dozen (depending on season) hereford when I was a kid in California.

I'm getting out of the army this summer. So, I figure if I can save a bit of money over then next year or two, I can finally buy some land and get back to raising animals again, without having to worry about being deployed and leaving the wife to handle them alone. (She's a great gal, but that's not fair to expect of her.) I've been waiting 25 years to get back to the country, and if/when I do, I'd like have some cattle again.

I've been researching the different breeds. Nothing wrong with hereford, but I thought I'd try something new. I like the idea of the senepol being slick coated and better addapted for the heat. I also like red angus. But frankly, the murray gray's that I've seen look better than either. So, I was wondering what a murray grey x senepol would look like.

My guess is that the silver Murray Gray is a black, influence by a diluter gene. But the web site isn't very helpful. So, probably the senepole influence would pass on the slick coat (it's dominant) but not influence the color, because red is recessive. But the next generation would probably throw a red (diluted to dun? or yellow?) about 1 in 4 times.

Was wondering if anyone's been down this road before, and what they think.

-ArmyDoc

We have always used Murray Grey bulls. A few years ago we had some angus cows, and also some red cows. The calves out of those
black and red cows always turned out to be some shade of chocolate....all the way from cocoa to dark hershey.

Tim Young in Elberton, GA bought some murrays from us and also some from Ohio. Here is a link to their
website: http://www.naturesharmonyfarm.com/ Maybe you can go visit them if you are in the neighborhood. I'm really
not sure if they have breeds other than Murray Grey. I know they have been doing some flushing of a cow that we
sold to them.

Good luck!

Thanks Jeanne!

I've followed Tim's web site for a while now. One of these days I'll get out there. I love the way your cattle look, by the way. They are one of the main reasons I decided to ask about this.

So both the black and the red angus crosses resulted in chocolate brown colored calves? I wouldn't have expected that. With the red, I guess it would make sense, if the Murrey Gray had a recessive red gene. But with a blacks, I would have thought they would be gray - maybe not as light as the Murray Gray parent, but still gray. Hmmm.

Sorry, ArmyDoc... if you do a search for Murray Grey and use Wisteria Farms as the author you have to look back about 3 pages to come up with it. OKJeanne also posted pictures on the Murray Grey X's post...and she gives good advice... I was also going to suggest you contact Natures Harmony Farm... they bought seedstock from the same farm we did in Ohio but they would be closer to you (obviously). I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Murray Grey breed...those who have them LOVE them.

ArmyDoc":odw19kok said:
Thanks Jeanne!

I've followed Tim's web site for a while now. One of these days I'll get out there. I love the way your cattle look, by the way. They are one of the main reasons I decided to ask about this.

So both the black and the red angus crosses resulted in chocolate brown colored calves? I wouldn't have expected that. With the red, I guess it would make sense, if the Murrey Gray had a recessive red gene. But with a blacks, I would have thought they would be gray - maybe not as light as the Murray Gray parent, but still gray. Hmmm.

Army Doc - here's a photo for you:

steers07.jpg

The dark brown steer is half murray and half angus...the animal on the left is a young bull; the rest are steers.

-----------------------------

The cow in the below photo is 1/4 angus and 3/4 murray---that's her purebred murray embryo calf
standing beside her:

BB3_popeye1-1.jpg

--------------------------------

And here's a yearling heifer that is 1/4 angus and 3/4 murray:

07heifer.jpg

----------------------

But here's a 8 mo old heifer that is much lighter in color, and is 1/2 angus and 1/2 murray:

bonita.jpg

------------------------------

We have one coming yearling heifer that is 1/4 angus and 3/4 murray that is a very
very light cocoa color.....so it varies.

I could not find a photo of an animal with a red cow dam, but they were basically the
same color variation.

Thanks for the pictures! Unfortunately, I will have to wait till I get home to view them - they have photosites blocked at work. oh well.

What was the color of the MG parent for these crosses? Silver, or something darker? I was thinking, if the underlying color for MG is E+ (wild type redish-black), with a homozygous diluter gene to get the silver color, then crossing with a cow with no diluting gene would be expected to have a darker coat. For a red animal, the E+ would be dominant... so the ofspring would be heterozygous, but phenotype redish-black, one diluting gene, so a bit lighter - voila: chocolate. Still working on understanding with the back angus though. If they were heterozygous black and e or E+, then the offspring could be identical in color to the reds. If homozygous black, I would have expected the dominant black would have made them dark gray with on copy of the diluting gene... Do any of these crosses have offspring? Would be very interesting to know their colors. Cool stuff though, and thanks again for the pictures.

By the way, do you have a web site?

ArmyDoc

Yes - it is located at: http://www.murraygrey.com

All the bulls we have used have been silver or a silvery-khaki color. Many times a calf will be very light
silver/grey at birth and then gradually get more tannish color as they age. All should have dark skin/nose.
Most of the calves that will turn chocolate will begin at birth as a pewter/dark stainless steel color, then
gradually turn to chocolate.

Wisteria Farms":uwtolo4q said:
Sorry, ArmyDoc... if you do a search for Murray Grey and use Wisteria Farms as the author you have to look back about 3 pages to come up with it. OKJeanne also posted pictures on the Murray Grey X's post...and she gives good advice... I was also going to suggest you contact Natures Harmony Farm... they bought seedstock from the same farm we did in Ohio but they would be closer to you (obviously). I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Murray Grey breed...those who have them LOVE them.

LOL! Helps if I use the proper british/australian spelling "GREY" instead of the american "GRAY"...

Thanks! I posted on a couple of your threads.

Latest posts