what would you take?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
What would you take if your house was going to be destroyed by fire, and only had time to grab a few things?

GMN

Aside from all things breathing ~ I would have to say photo albums. However, given the time it took me to think of what I would bring just now ~ I would probably end up being a casuality.....

GMN":3hjwtiri said:
What would you take if your house was going to be destroyed by fire, and only had time to grab a few things?

GMN

My computer tower, photos and papers in the filing cabinet drawer. And the dogs.

Gold Medals first and foremost. Inherited guns, boxed sentimentals, brief case of loose legal papers. Second trip through would be original paintings off the walls and bagged camera equipment.

I lost just about everything in '90 except the house. There were lessons learned. The sealand container has most sentimental things in it already. All truly valued photos are scanned and loaded on the websites for back up. Negatives for published photos are secured too. Things in the fireproof safe are okay as is. Coins can be retrieved from ashes AGAIN.

The memory boxes... we have 3 of them. We take an 18" x 18" box and when the kids made a homemade card (YEARS ago - now they are wonderful teens ;-) ), pictures or post cards of places we go, etc. etc. You just throw it in the box as a "memory" and we seal them up when they're full.

The rest of the stuff can be replaced... of course I'm sure the insurance company won't readily pay enough but that would be a different topic now wouldn't it?

As many clothes and photos as I could.....My computer( god I couldnt live with out it). And of course my FOOd... LOL...

My brother lives in SoCal - Ramona actually, they got hauled out Sunday night, fires coming from 2 directions, had the motor home ready to roll, family in and they were off. Nothing came with them...nothing else important.

They heard news that fire came right up to their backyard, but as far as they know, their house did not burn. They are expected to get back maybe by the weekend.

I told them they should move back to Wisconsin ;-) ... I can't repeat what he said about the cold...I told him he was a ... well, can't say that either! :D

Michele

Family aside, pets, photos, guns in that order.
When son's room caught fire last year called the dog went out the front door shut, stopped and went oh nice I just left my cats in there. Went and got the fire truck and came back. They were all under my bed.

4-H record book-12 years of my life in pictures, stories, and hours of forced handwriting as a kid and typing as a teenager-it's the scrapbook my mom never had the time to make and pretty much tells my entire life

I have a pretty good size gun safe, weighs just over 500 lbs. It's suppose to be fire proof, in a house fire it is not suppose to get hotter than 300 degrees inside. I hope I never find out, anyone have any experience to share in this area, will the safe save valuables and papers, pictures?

Only us and a couple of dogs inside, so after that it's the computer (business) and my family keep sakes, paintings by mom, furniture by grandpa, etc.

If it's something like San Diego, my house would have been empty before the fire was close. Seems to me if the athourities say I may have to leave my house time to start saving things.

Alan

GMN":22wq8p38 said:

GMN

My dog. Everything else can be replaced.

When we lived ina high brush fire hazard area we had a metal box in the truck with legal papers in it and a sack with some clothes. Now we would probably also include a cell phone. When we were told to evacuate we opened all the gates and and beat feet.

My two cats, and a credit card. all the family photo's are stored in an open file on the computer that can be opened with my pass word from any computer, as anything else can be replaced, the credit card so as I can buy some new clothes, and food for my family and cats.

Alan":1ebsx7y7 said:
I hope I never find out, anyone have any experience to share in this area, will the safe save valuables and papers, pictures?

Alan

Yes. You'd be amazed and things that go, and things that don't. I have a tool box built out of 1/8" plate. It sits on a stand that is also enclosed with plate as well but hinged doors versus a capped lid. My old work tools were stored in it, along with pipe fitter books, Instrument tech books, electrical guides etc. Some polaroids from the old days in working in Washington state and some from Colorado as well. All that paperwork survived. The multi-meters and Transmation signal generator in the lower box were toasted. The box and stand were the tallest item in the ashes. That box is not air tight, and it is not fire proof by any means. Hence, I figure anything in a fire proof safe would be okay.

There was one huge aluminum puddle that I could not figure out. It had me perplexed for months. Spring came and someone asked to borrow water ski's again. It was at that point that I remember someone had returned on O'Brien ski and I had stuck it in the shed rather than take it to the boat. I didn't even realize it was aluminum coated.

Latest posts