What would you pay for trenching.

Help Support CattleToday:

I remember the good ol days when I could buy dynamite over the counter at the local gun dealer. Used an old truck inner axle to drive a hole a couple feet deep at a time. About a 1/4 stick, packed in with thick mud and covered with a round bale of weeds would shatter everything and then the scooping out would begin.

I remember the good ol days when I could buy dynamite over the counter at the local gun dealer. Used an old truck inner axle to drive a hole a couple feet deep at a time. About a 1/4 stick, packed in with thick mud and covered with a round bale of weeds would shatter everything and then the scooping out would begin.
When I was in my 20's, I went to a hardware store at lunch and bought a case (100 sticks) of dynamite and caps. About $100 I think. Just filled out a simple form. Went back to my day job with the dynamite in my car for the afternoon. Used it to clean the sand and trash out of a small stream and to remove some stumps. It sure rained mud and sticks from the stream. If you returned too soon to ground zero, you would breath the strong odor of the nitro and could feel the effect on your heart. Placement under a stump was the key to success. If you did not get it deep enough or not under the stump, it just blew the packing dirt out of the hole. Need to use it up before it gets drippy wet and unstable. Its a miracle we survived then.
Probably a little more difficult to buy it now. Can't even get ammonium nitrate fertilizer now.

Latest posts