What would you like to learn about the cattle business?

Help Support CattleToday:

Littlejohn

Active member
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
38
Reaction score
2
Location
KY
Hello,
I’m president of our local Cattlemen Association, and I’m starting to run out of ideas on speakers for our monthly meeting. Below is a list of topics that have been covered over the last year. Back ground about our association’s “average member”, Farm as a second income, in there 50’s, own or lease around 100 acres, and have 20 to 30 cow calf pairs

2 different Pharm companies going over their de-wormer and fly control
An excellent presentation on practical application of rotational grazing
A forage specialist who covered Teff grass a managing Endophyte in Fescue
A rep from one of the closer stockyards
2 local equipment dealers
Farm Credit Service
A semi-local Feed mill
And the Agricultural Agent has covered a couple of different subjects on grazing

Are there any subjects that you as a cattle producer would like to learn about that I have not covered? Any ideas for subjects or speakers would be very help full.

Thanks
John
 

SRBeef

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
2,931
Reaction score
1
Location
SW Wisconsin
How about something regarding selling freezer beef? Or local processors? Or state requirements for direct sales? All of the above? Even large scale cattlemen may want to learn how to sell freezer beef to neighbors etc. just an idea. Jim
 

hillrancher

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
865
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
How to manage 500 acres and 200 mothers and pay all the bills and not have to work out. We want a vacation and health insurance pay also.
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
Get the local large animal vet out to your meetings to do some teaching. It's good for the cattlemen and good for his business too.
 

farmwriter

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
1,073
Reaction score
0
Location
Deep South
grannysoo":1u3wlov9 said:
Get the local large animal vet out to your meetings to do some teaching. It's good for the cattlemen and good for his business too.
LOVE that idea. Maybe ask him to recommend a first aid kit, what people in the area need to be vaccinating for and when, and simple steps to determine if they need to call the vet or can treat themselves.
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,448
Reaction score
222
Location
Central Texas
How about an educational program for "the other" people. Educate them where their food comes from and what will happen when they have to count on other countries to stock the grocery store shelves more than they already are.
 

Douglas

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
885
Reaction score
4
Location
Central North Carolina
To me it is all about the forage and how to become a better grass farmer. How to reduce hay needs, winter annuals, adding clover, stockpiling, etc. Our revenue stream is stagnating and we have to reduce cost and grass is the cheapest feed.
Also I think an important topic would be how to access government money. Our soil and water conservation guy has a lot of state monies for projects like wells, fencing off ponds and streams, even rotational grazing payments.
 

CowGirl005

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Massachusetts
Would have to go with Grannyso's idea about the vet. Having a vet come out to discuss first aid that a farmer can do themselves, first aid kits to have on hand, when to call the vet, vaccines, new techniques used, etc.
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
CowGirl005":3a6n4a5r said:
Would have to go with Grannyso's idea about the vet. Having a vet come out to discuss first aid that a farmer can do themselves, first aid kits to have on hand, when to call the vet, vaccines, new techniques used, etc.
have him stress, a good working facility.... alot of vet's get soured out having to play cowboy every time they show up.quicker you get em there and back on the road the better
 

cfpinz

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 8, 2005
Messages
6,161
Reaction score
209
Location
Virginia
We've had a couple good meetings regarding weed control and identification.

One I've been lobbying for recently is estate planning, how to transfer an operation to the next generation without losing your ass.
 

farmwriter

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
1,073
Reaction score
0
Location
Deep South
Douglas":2r5surj0 said:
To me it is all about the forage and how to become a better grass farmer. How to reduce hay needs, winter annuals, adding clover, stockpiling, etc. Our revenue stream is stagnating and we have to reduce cost and grass is the cheapest feed.
Also I think an important topic would be how to access government money. Our soil and water conservation guy has a lot of state monies for projects like wells, fencing off ponds and streams, even rotational grazing payments.
Like these 2 ideas as well. Found out last Fri we're getting some $$$ for cross fencing and pasture planting. VERY exciting news for us.
 

upfrombottom

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 19, 2009
Messages
1,123
Reaction score
0
Location
Northeast Arkansas
What about insuring your cattle? Desaster releif during a drought? Or a Hay co-op where you can put in,if you don't need it, for credit towards hay when you do (sorry dealers)?
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,448
Reaction score
222
Location
Central Texas
upfrombottom":qkfo7wd4 said:
What about insuring your cattle? Desaster releif during a drought? Or a Hay co-op where you can put in,if you don't need it, for credit towards hay when you do (sorry dealers)?
Already have that, it is called a barn. :p Sure is getting hollow too.
 

upfrombottom

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 19, 2009
Messages
1,123
Reaction score
0
Location
Northeast Arkansas
i do not want to cause anyone to shed a tear, but the ranchers around here have it running out there ears. Barns full, sheds full, running out of places to stack it. Friend of mine still has 500 round bales or so left from last year and has thirty cows. Just three years ago we were in the same shape as some in Texas.
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
upfrombottom":1aszpdpb said:
Just three years ago we were in the same shape as some in Texas.

And that's important to remember. I don't think there is such a thing as having too much hay. I strive to maintain a minimum 2 years inventory at all times.
 

TheBullLady

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
3,537
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
That's always the way it works.. some have it, some don't. I'm about tired of the drought myself. A good friend is selling half her herd, and a pretty big producer near her sent 104 head to the auction barn, 50 to Mexico, and has 25 head left.

As far as educational programs.. how about niche marketing? And wildlife production in conjunction with agriculture?
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,448
Reaction score
222
Location
Central Texas
grannysoo":3vzmello said:
upfrombottom":3vzmello said:
Just three years ago we were in the same shape as some in Texas.

And that's important to remember. I don't think there is such a thing as having too much hay. I strive to maintain a minimum 2 years inventory at all times.
Getting pretty close to proving 2 years worth is not enough.
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
cfpinz":2edj6pdk said:
We've had a couple good meetings regarding weed control and identification.

One I've been lobbying for recently is estate planning, how to transfer an operation to the next generation without losing your ass.
thats usually the land developers who are waiting like buzzards for us too quit playing around with it,,so they can make money on it
 

Latest posts

Top