What would you have done differently 20-40 years ago?

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90":16u2j1n8 said:
M-5":16u2j1n8 said:
RanchMan90":16u2j1n8 said:
In that case what have you done that was key to your success? I'm 26 and trying to seize the moment with these low prices.
Have I been coming across wrong here? I apologize if I have. I know nobody's going to give me anything in life, I've got to take it.

Listening instead of talking , Paying attention to details and most of all a strong desire to accomplish it by yourself.

That was not pertaining to you or anyone else here. U asked what I had done. I have been around cattlemen and farmers my entire life and anytime One of my elders spoke or was talking about something I felt important I shut my mouth and listened to what he had to say. Ask how many here wish they had of listened to the fathers or grandfathers when they were trying to pass along wisdom . 100% of people will say they would listen more if they had the chance again .

By no means was I referring to you. I have been doing my current job for 15 years and see lots of young folks come in thinking they know it all instead of listening to the ones that have been doing it and making a great living for a long time.

I got with everyone who says buy more land. There are some places I passed on I should have bought. Places I did buy I should have passed on until I found something better. Just glad I did buy what I did, good and bad.

I would have bought a welding machine sooner. Probably as soon as I started welding school back in '78. I got along with a cracker box way too long.

I don't know how it would be possible, but to spend even more time with Dad and Grandad.

I'm sure my credibility is shot now that I mention my age lol. I'm here to listen and learn, and to help with anything that I may have experience with.

It't not what I did 40 years ago that would make a difference....but had I taken a job offer 10 years ago I'd be in a whole lot better financial shape.

True Grit Farms":5vqp0h4j said:
I'd of never bought a Charolais bull in 1981. He put me out of the cow business in less than a year.

I bought one in 1995, that put me out of the Charolais business. Prior to that I had a decent run with them.

Ky hills":3hk6m74k said:
True Grit Farms":3hk6m74k said:
I'd of never bought a Charolais bull in 1981. He put me out of the cow business in less than a year.

I bought one in 1995, that put me out of the Charolais business. Prior to that I had a decent run with them.
What happened Grit and Ky hills? Were they hard calvers?

Lazy M":2k3vk8o0 said:
Ky hills":2k3vk8o0 said:
True Grit Farms":2k3vk8o0 said:

In my situation yes it was hard calving. I lost nearly every calf by him, and a few cows,

Ky hills":xswu6wag said:
Lazy M":xswu6wag said:
Ky hills":xswu6wag said:

In my situation yes it was hard calving. I lost nearly every calf by him, and a few cows,
Ouch

Lazy M":2y94nj60 said:
Ky hills":2y94nj60 said:
True Grit Farms":2y94nj60 said:

Lost all 14 calves and 8 cows. I was told to not breed the Charolais bull to heifers, and I didn't. But my cracker cows and Angus couldn't handle the120 lb+ calves either.

I would have tried to force myself in with my grandfather. He is hardheaded and wouldn't let anyone help him. I'm 35 now and have started managing his and my own small herd for 3 years ever since he fell and broke his hip. He got his first head at the age of 21 (he is 93 now). I got my first head at the age of 28, so I am not that far off. I just feel I would have learned a lot more from him sooner and while he was still out there. Do I regret anything that has happened, not one bit. I always think things happen for a reason.

In retrospect, and no real regrets as I have a good wife now, but back in the early 80s, I might should have told that girl "Yes" and stayed in Central Texas.

Biggest thing I'd have done different, if I had the choice to go back 25 years when we got our first cows was to get better quality stock.. We bought heifers, and neither them nor us knew what we were doing.. BAD combination.. From 12 heifers we lost 5 calves and 2 cows the first calving season, lost a couple more to atypical pneumonia in the next couple years, etc.

Other than that, while not everything I've done was right, I've learned a lot and I'm OK with where I am

Latest posts