What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

IndianCreekcowboy

Reaction score
I started in 1998 with Registered Beefmasters, over the years I have bred to other breeds, 1 year Charolais, 4 years various Brangus Bulls, and some 1st time heifers to Angus. Keep in mind that all my cows have Beefmaster influence and am now getting some 3/4 Brangus females. If you were in my shoes in South, MS and wanted to breed for future females, not neccessarily a market calf; What types(s) of Bull(s) would you choose and why? Would like to get some variety of feedback and get differing opinions! :cboy:

With the 3/4 brangus influence I would think a Hereford would work nicely. Should get something similar in appearance and behavior to a Super Baldy.

cherokeeruby":3age2ez6 said:
With the 3/4 brangus influence I would think a Hereford would work nicely. Should get something similar in appearance and behavior to a Super Baldy.

Concur they ought to do good at the salebarn.

Since you're that far along with the Brangus, I'd stick with them. Select some Brangus bulls that will give you a milky female with a moderate frame. After you get the Brangus cowherd you want, then you can do so many things......

Angus bulls for 3/16 eared calves that should be great feeders or replacement females.

More Brangus bulls to produce some great replacement females to sell or keep, with acceptable money for the steers.

Polled Herefords for some nice, eared baldy heifers and the 3/16 eared baldy steers will work for any feedlot in the Southern Plains.

Charolais for some good smokey terminal calves.

Once you get that Brangus cowherd, the sky's the limit!

If it were me I would use a moderate framed big boned thick Maine or Simmental bull. They will put more muscle and bone in your calves and yet with the Brangus in them they will still do well in your area.

i agree with txshowmom. if you are going to use something other than beefmaster and brangus go with simmental.

Latest posts