what would you do

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":3svpdi3n said:
heres the deal my nephew an his buddy bought 4 reg beefmaster heifers.they want to breed them next spring,so we are thinking AI or buy another reg bull.neither of the boys know how to AI an we dont have a semen jugg.an with 4 heifers the semen will cost from $1000 to $2000 plus the cost of a tech.ive got the bull they can breed the heifers to no prob.but we are thinking it be best for his buddy to buy a reg bull since the semen cost is so high,an he has an old bull he needs to replace.the new bull could cost $3000 or more.what are yalls thoughts.
Tell them to learn AI. They do not want to breed to that bull you have. :idea:

bigbull338":c6407wjy said:
cow pollinater":c6407wjy said:
I've been busy trying to find beefmaster semen myself... For what he's looking at paying I'm thinkin' road trip!
yeah beefmaster semen is hard to find.
I was joking but since you called me on it I did a quick search and found twenty bulls just between genex's "added attractions" and bovine elite. Some of the bovine elite stuff is pricy but there's more beefmaser semen out there than you think there is. :D

bigbull338":t0few9lj said:
hooknline":t0few9lj said:
An AI tech should be able to handle it for you. And it won't be as expensive as you think
theres no more AI techs around here.all the dairymen did the AIing themselves.we have vets that AI an i still have to price the semen.
Check with the vet clinic on storage of the semen.
You may also want to check with the closest breeder to you. They may be able to help.
Check with the people your buying the cattle from.

this has been a good thread thanks guys.i have buddies that have semen for sale.an if i check with them i might get a good deal.

greybeard":v3in9a0q said:
TexasBred":v3in9a0q said:
BB here's a place located in Temple, Texas with beefmaster semen for sale. Also have a bull sale coming up.

http://frenzelbeefmasters.com/FrozenGenetics.html

Yep, and if I can get out of a different set of plans for next Saturday, I'm going to be there in Brenham. 99.9% chance I'm just going to look and learn tho.
better take your checkbook.

Heres another idea BB.... The bull you got aint worth squat, yall pool your money and buy you a heckav bull... maybe a Casey of Lasater.. you can all three use him and collect him..... If your gonna raise seedstock cattle that are gonna be worth a hoot you are gonna have to get some good proven bloodlines in there....not some of this your buddys is doing you a favor bull...

Sorry if I am coming down kinda ruff on you, but, this idea you have that you can raise seedstock with poor quality commercial bulls just aint gonna cut it. If I as a commercial bull buyer saw the bull that you have for your current sire....Im afraid I might bite my lip off , to keep from laughing.
Now if you dont trust these fellas forget this idea, and do it alone.

houstoncutter":391w0sbc said:
Heres another idea BB.... The bull you got aint worth squat, yall pool your money and buy you a heckav bull... maybe a Casey of Lasater.. you can all three use him and collect him..... If your gonna raise seedstock cattle that are gonna be worth a hoot you are gonna have to get some good proven bloodlines in there....not some of this your buddys is doing you a favor bull...

Sorry if I am coming down kinda ruff on you, but, this idea you have that you can raise seedstock with poor quality commercial bulls just aint gonna cut it. If I as a commercial bull buyer saw the bull that you have for your current sire....Im afraid I might bite my lip off , to keep from laughing.
Now if you dont trust these fellas forget this idea, and do it alone.

Preach it! :clap:

Here's a link to a Brangus sell just down the road from the Beefmaster sale. Folks have red and black. I'd unload those beefmasters at the beefmaster sell, then drive on down to Chappell Hill (about 6 miles) and start over. I've used some of their bulls and got great results.

http://www.oakcreekfarms.com/

TexasBred":2u49atk1 said:
Here's a link to a Brangus sell just down the road from the Beefmaster sale. Folks have red and black. I'd unload those beefmasters at the beefmaster sell, then drive on down to Chappell Hill (about 6 miles) and start over. I've used some of their bulls and got great results.

Looks like a good one too. I saw the website earlier, which is what prompted my "Brangus on Charolais" question.

TexasBred":xbrxqvfb said:

Nothing wrong with the Beefmaster cows, you get all the attributes of a Brangus without the tude and leather. Some of the best groups of calves I ever raised were Beefmaster crossed with fullblood Limi bulls

houstoncutter":2naez7io said:
Nothing wrong with the Beefmaster cows, you get all the attributes of a Brangus without the tude and leather. Some of the best groups of calves I ever raised were Beefmaster crossed with fullblood Limi bulls

HC even a brangus don't want no Longhorn hanging around the pasture. ;-)

well its been decided,the heifers will be AIed to a bull called crown prince.the boys got a rack of semen free.an itll be stored off farm till they are ready to use it.

CROWN PRINCE 920 1/2

(**Cavalier x HF Misty 1/3)

Crown Prince classified 1/2 as a 4 year old, a feat many young bulls don't attain. His calves are clean, stylish, and have thick top lines with tremendous muscle expression. The majority of his calves are red, but he has thrown black calves out of black cows. Every calf Crown Prince calf is stamped with class and carries his pattern!

Semen $75.00 per straw,
certificate included

Latest posts