What Would You Do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Get with your local feed dealer. Usually the fiber in the stemy stuff is too high and they wont digest it well. Some protien blocks and tubs are designed to help them brake down the fiber and ingest more of the stemy stuff. The blocks I use run $8/hd/month I graze stems this time of year, the cows are able to make use of it. Find a dealer of high quality supplements, if its cheaper usually they cut corners to cut cost.

Be careful or you will spoil the cows . Unless it is terrible, make em eat it. Save the better stuff for closer to calving.

user1":hys3wf4p said:
Be careful or you will spoil the cows . Unless it is terrible, make em eat it. Save the better stuff for closer to calving.

That's the biggest problem right now. I have 3 that are days (or less) away from calving and another a month or so later. I would hate to cause problems due to stemmy hay.

robertwhite":2b73nlkw said:
user1":2b73nlkw said:

That's the biggest problem right now. I have 3 that are days (or less) away from calving and another a month or so later. I would hate to cause problems due to stemmy hay.
You won't have any problems, just feed it and don't worry about it. I have fed the stuff thru entire winters and would trade every bale I got now for the stuff, cows do well on it, and every calf thru those winters was born with mom as surviving on mature stemmy JG hay.

Isomade":1bfirlsv said:
You won't have any problems, just feed it and don't worry about it. I have fed the stuff thru entire winters and would trade every bale I got now for the stuff, cows do well on it, and every calf thru those winters was born with mom as surviving on mature stemmy JG hay.

Thanks man. That makes me feel a little better. If these 2 heifers would spit these calves out already, I wouldn't sweat it. The 2 cows that are due, I am much less concerned about. I still have about a dozen rolls of the good stuff left, so I should squeak by.

The serecea is also called poor man's alfalfa by the old timers, pretty good stuff actually if grazed or mowed short. Also if the JG was headed out you will have your own field of JGrass where you roll it out. Not necesarily a bad thing if you keep it contained

robertwhite":pa2kcs5n said:
If these 2 heifers would spit these calves out already, I wouldn't sweat it. The 2 cows that are due, I am much less concerned about. I still have about a dozen rolls of the good stuff left, so I should squeak by.

Give me a yell if you need a hand.

Latest posts