What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

JH_cattle_co

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I work on a ranch in north central Tx. My boss has turned over 150 acres to me to do whatever I please with, free of charge as long as I take care of his cattle. It is cross fenced into 5 pastures, two of which are coastal and total about 50 acres. The other 100 acres is native grass, little blue stem and switch grass mostly. All brush has been cleared with the exception of some large hardwoods for shade.

I was planning on fertilizing the coastal and using it for hay production, I might rotate some cattle on it if the native pasture gets too short. Now, I grew up ranching in west Texas so coastal is something I know nothing about. I have been told that right about now is the best time to fertilize. Is there a standard fertilizer to use, or is a soil test a must?

I was planing on purchasing about 15 cows and a bull. Ideally I would like to run an Angus bull on brangus cows. But honestly I would be open to whatever I could pick up for a fair price, maybe even a few longhorns. What are your thoughts about what to run? I know there will be a lot of different opinions but I am curious to see what everyone thinks.

I do have the opportunity to pick up some 9-10 year old brangus cows that have been exposed to a brangus bull for $300-$400 per head. They belong to one of our neighboring ranchers in west Texas where there is a bad drought, he said he needs to get rid of them and would just a soon sale them to me cheap then haul them to the sale. I figured I would take a look at them and pick out as many decent ones as I could, haul them back to the ranch I work on, turn them out for about 60 days then preg check them and sell any that aren't bred. Thoughts on this?

One last thing, I have a budget of Ten Grand.

Sorry for the long read, any input is greatly appreciated.

Hay production for your own use is great. If you plan on selling it, those that come around will try to get you down below your cost to produce it. Just lock the gate on them and go home.

Coastal is easy in loam. Just fertilize it with what your soil tests show. Minerals are good. Especailly boron because it will drive the roots down deep. My soil test always say I don't need minerals but I put them in anyway.

If you are growing coastal in soil that compacts, you are going to need to bust the soil about once a year. It is best to do that just before you fertilize.

Weeds can be a problem after a drought.

I am in Hood County with pastures on the Brazos flood plains. If you are any where close, let me know. I have about 170 acres of coastal now and I can show you all I have done to get it to the condition it is in.

I'd lean toward the older cows. Sounds like a win win deal to me if they are in halfway decent shape. Your idea for the hay sounds good too. Keeping my cow cost low and feeding from within sounds like a very good plan to start with. JMO

I have to agree with JO, and go with the older cows. Pick out the best ones, and preg check them sooner to make sure they really are as far along as he says.
Sounds like you got a good deal going.

you could do a few things with 150acs.you could bale that 100acs of native grass for hay once a yr in july.an rotate graze the 50acs of coastal.or you could run 15 cows on the native pasture an bale the 50ac coastal meadow.if your looking at long aged cows.make sure they are in fairly good shape with no health issues.an if you can buy some cows that are confirmed bred.

$400.00 per head??? Around this area, at those prices, I would buy every one of those cows. Sold an old cow who was having trouble walking and she brought 725. Good luck to you, sounds like a good thing you have going there.

JH_cattle_co":2far0zvz said:
Backhoe, where in hood county? I am in northern Erath.

Are you in Huckabee?

I live north of Thorp Spring off of FM 4. The pastures are south of Granbury. They are 3 miles off of the south FM 2425.

I know lots of folks living out your way.

JH_cattle_co":2jqxr624 said:
I am south of Patillo.

When I go west to Breckenridge (Turner Seed Company) or to Abilene etc, I go by Patillo. From here at the house, FM 4 to I-20 is the best route.

Latest posts