What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
Here is my situation.

Got a neighbor, selling his farm. Pulled/sold animals early april. Part of his pasture is worth mowing for hay, and he said no problem.

Would it be worth throwing 50 or 100 lbs of N down after i cut it? If no one is showing interest in buying the farm at that time… Hopefully giving a good second cut.

10 acres. 15 at the most i'd guess.

We have zero hay in the barn.

Yes, I would be talking to the owner just before spreading but if there is no offer at that point I would put it on.

Roll the dice, move your mice!!!
If you were real worried, and have a good relationship with seller, he could write it in the sales contract that this year's hay crop is yours. Easily done.

What bball said or draw up a short term lease until end of summer that the buyer would have to honor. Its pretty common around here on row crop land where once the crop is planted, it remains leased to the farmer who planted it until harvest time. Same with a hunting lease. In force until the end of hunting season.

bird dog":3ncwj6g4 said:
What bball said or draw up a short term lease until end of summer that the buyer would have to honor. Its pretty common around here on row crop land where once the crop is planted, it remains leased to the farmer who planted it until harvest time. Same with a hunting lease. In force until the end of hunting season.
Law here on row crops

ClinchValley":1pscr5ov said:
kenny thomas":1pscr5ov said:
Best thing is just buy the land, problem solved.

Sure wish that was an option for me, Kenny. Dang ducks ain't in that row...

Are you close to the new Dollar store going up (31 131 exit)or Clinch school. I am very familiar with that area and land sells pretty good around there. Also a good 10 to 15 acres to hay in that area would be a good thing.

Even if it sold tomorrow, it'd be awhile before the new owner would move in and start rearranging things. If you're worried, talk to new owner. Around here, the custom is for any crop on newly purchased land is the property of the planter and has the right to get the crop off in a timely manner. Handshakes and your word is how most deals are made. Agree that title search and other closing elements take time....not like buying a used car, plunking down cash and driving out in it.

jltrent":3j915v79 said:
Are you close to the new Dollar store going up (31 131 exit)or Clinch school. I am very familiar with that area and land sells pretty good around there. Also a good 10 to 15 acres to hay in that area would be a good thing.

Yessir. Mile or two down the road from me. They've been making impressive progress on it. Even with the rain we've been getting. Working day and night, literally.

In the area often?

Latest posts