What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

GRTiger85

Reaction score
I sold a bull to a guy in mid April. Bull was 16 months old at the time and passed fertility test with flying colors. They bought him to turn out with 15 cows that did not calve until May&June. Guy called monday to tell me that all cows came back open after they palpated them. Kicker is that they had an outbreak of anaplasmosis go through the herd end of July and lost 2 cows and several others that got very sick. They had bull tested this week and claim he came back neg for anaplasmosis and that he failed fert test as 50% of semen had kinked tails. Still waiting on them to fax me copies of paperwork for verification. My vet told me he would not warranty bull as there are just too many variables once he left my place, and that the bull was good when I sold him. At a cross roads, First time ive ever had any trouble with a bull ive sold, and I dont have anything on hand to exchange him with, just weaned bulls. Dont want to refund a bull if I shouldnt but I also dont want to get a bad rep for not standing behind cattle. So what would you do??

He was sold with fertility test and virgin bull statement both certified by my vet. No other guarantees written or implied.

I would give him the refund. Get the bull home, re-condition and re-test. Maybe you can sell him again. Maybe he ends up as hamburger. For me, it is never worth the damage to my business to risk a bad rep. I would take the hit and move on. I actually have had a bull sold as a weanling not pass his BSE as a yearling when the purchaser had him in his possession for over 6 months. We took the yearling back and sent him for kill (damaged testicle, no recovery possible). We gave him a lease bull to use free for that season so he would not be out a calf crop. Then we gave him another bull of similar breeding and value to replace the "broken" one. The buyer was so pleased with how we handled the situation, he has purchased more bulls from us, utilized our lease program more, and intends to keep buying from us in the future. We took a loss on the one lease and partial loss on the "broken" bull, but in the end, I think it was worth it. :2cents:

Also, we had purchased a bull from a reputable Limi breeder, that died after 4 months in our possession. Their program allowed for 1/2 price paid at sale, 1/2 price paid 6 month later. It was a freak thing, nothing the breeder could have foreseen or accounted for in a guarantee, but when we told them, they were very understanding and told us not to pay the second half due on the bull. It was more than we expected, and they have earned us as a customer for life!

Hmmmmm, health issues with the cow herd and they end up open. I would retest the bull after he has been cleaned out a bit from breeding a few cows. I know it sounds like blackmail, but if you plan on having a reputation in the business, you might should take him back and refund the money. Put them and your list to not sell anything to again.

Boot Jack Bulls":1a7ijpg7 said:
I would give him the refund. Get the bull home, re-condition and re-test. Maybe you can sell him again. Maybe he ends up as hamburger. For me, it is never worth the damage to my business to risk a bad rep. I would take the hit and move on. I actually have had a bull sold as a weanling not pass his BSE as a yearling when the purchaser had him in his possession for over 6 months. We took the yearling back and sent him for kill (damaged testicle, no recovery possible). We gave him a lease bull to use free for that season so he would not be out a calf crop. Then we gave him another bull of similar breeding and value to replace the "broken" one. The buyer was so pleased with how we handled the situation, he has purchased more bulls from us, utilized our lease program more, and intends to keep buying from us in the future. We took a loss on the one lease and partial loss on the "broken" bull, but in the end, I think it was worth it. :2cents:

Also, we had purchased a bull from a reputable Limi breeder, that died after 4 months in our possession. Their program allowed for 1/2 price paid at sale, 1/2 price paid 6 month later. It was a freak thing, nothing the breeder could have foreseen or accounted for in a guarantee, but when we told them, they were very understanding and told us not to pay the second half due on the bull. It was more than we expected, and they have earned us as a customer for life!
Yep, I think this is what I would do too.

About 6 years ago we bought 2 18 months old virgin, registered bulls from a reputable breeder. Only had them 8 days when one broke his penis (yikes, soldier down!) & ended up at the Sale Barn. Called the breeder for a replacement & the only one left had warts on his penis (eweee!) but shouldn't affect his fertility. The breeder brought him out, free of charge, and our vet tried to cut off the warts but he wouldn't heal & ended up at the Sale Barn, the proceeds/check went back to the breeder. Next season we bought 2 more bulls but the breeder only charged us for one. Purchased 2 more a couple years ago & one of them was awesome (still have him) but the other bull was flighty & aggressive. The breeder offered to exchange him but we declined his offer, figured the bull would eventually settle down (which didn't happen & he had to go, buh-bye!).

What does the buyer actually want? A replacement bull, refund or partial refund? Clearly the health issues on their ranch had nothing to do with your bull & your vet did provide a fertility test but you may want to consider this as a write-off.

We guarantee our bulls for the first breeding season to be sound breeders no questions asked. I would take the hit and refund, but they would be delivering the bull to my farm.

I am not in the bull selling business but any animal I sell if it walks on the trailer in good condition that's the end of my warranty.

L.L. Bean of Maine started out making his now famous hunting boots. Of the first 100 pairs sold 98 pairs leaked. He replaced all defective ones, no questions asked. Made his reputation by that one decision!!

GRTiger85,
Would you mind sharing your resolution? I am facing a very similar situation. 18mo bull tested good when I bought 4 months ago. Didn't breed any of my virgin heifers. Took him to the vet, but couldn't even get an ejaculation. Vet said he has never seen anything like this before. The seller is willing to replace with another bull, but it is of poor quality compared to the one I bought. He also will not refund my money. I just want to settle this the best way possible for both parties.

You can PM me if you prefer. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Joseph

Farmer10":3itqjnyk said:
GRTiger85,
Would you mind sharing your resolution? I am facing a very similar situation. 18mo bull tested good when I bought 4 months ago. Didn't breed any of my virgin heifers. Took him to the vet, but couldn't even get an ejaculation. Vet said he has never seen anything like this before. The seller is willing to replace with another bull, but it is of poor quality compared to the one I bought. He also will not refund my money. I just want to settle this the best way possible for both parties.

You can PM me if you prefer. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Joseph

If the seller cant replace with a bull of equal value you should be refunded the price of the bull minus his salvage value.

Bull has been around anaplasmosis, there aint no way he is coming back around my cattle, I fought that stuff a few years ago and it is not no fun. Anaplas out break not your problem.
Could he have had it and they got him over it and now he could be a carrier of it ??????
What's to say the cows didn't breed then abort Anaplas will make them do that, if so not your problem.
Trying to breed cows back in the hottest part of summer, from what most people on this site says that does not work out to good for them. again not your problem.
What would I do? whatever I had to, to be able to go to sleep at night and know I did right. I also would not sell another bull with out a written out statement , warranty, saying what I am covering in depth to much paper work is way better that not enough.