What Would You do With This Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rustler9":pu39dpux said:
Guess I don't understand why you are so mad at the cow, she's a cow, that's how they act sometimes, especially if a gate was half open. I guess I'd be mad at myself, not the cow. If I sold or killed all the cows that make me mad I wouldn't have but one or two left. She looks like a good cow raising a good calf. We handle all of ours the same way too but there's always one or two that like to make it interesting when it comes time to work em or move em.

There always is that handful. But they have calves which make money just like the rest of them.

In defense of mnmt, don't we all have a cow or two that do little things to tick us off? I'm sure there's more to the story than meets the eye. When I get one that gets under my skin, I send her packing. Ofcourse I'm not a full time cattleman, and only have cows because I enjoy it (Did I just say that?) - so why keep a cow that makes it not-enjoyable. Would probably be different if cattle were my only source of income.

Ship her! she's a PITA to you and will be from now on.

Besides "out of sight out of mind"

3waycross":2i7r2e6i said:

Every cow we've ever had has been on the short cull list at one time or the other. If we shipped everyone that POed me at one time or the other I wouldn;t have a wife either.

dun":15lk29pa said:
3waycross":15lk29pa said:

Every cow we've ever had has been on the short cull list at one time or the other. If we shipped everyone that POed me at one time or the other I wouldn;t have a wife either.

Then DON"T ship her and you can be pi$$ed at Dun every time she does something wrong. :lol2:

3waycross":cduiwowo said:
dun":cduiwowo said:
3waycross":cduiwowo said:

Then DON"T ship her and you can be pi$$ed at Dun every time she does something wrong. :lol2:

I like this 3way. Why stop there? Why not name the cow Dun as well.

MAN! Do I ever appreciate all the advice. Makes CT forums entertaining and fun.

For now, I'm letting the cow stay. She is as good as the others out there just eating and raising her calf.

Every once in a while I attach a name to a critter.

Her name will be "DUN" from here on. :nod: :D As in DONE if she riles me again. :cowboy:

mnmtranching":8s59aedm said:
Besides that :mad: she now always has that look on her face. :devil2: Like I WON! I can handle you. Well :oops: She did win that battle :roll: But, I WILL win the war :cowboy:
I don't know? for now she gets to hang around. Next time, I'm pizzed at her. She either goes in the stock trailer or she goes on the flatbed. Don't make much difference to me. But, she will go. :nod:

maybe she just doesn't like you.

GMN

I have a cow that can unhook a chain on a gate with her tongue. It wouldn't be so bad if she would close the d@m gate after she gets out and doesn't let the other cows out with her.. ;-)

I had to change all the hooks to pig tails so she can't pull the chain off anymore. :lol2:

I think a cow will see a half closed gate as half open though, you know always the optimists.. :nod: Mnm I bet if you wanted her to go through the gate she would have stayed put.. :lol:

cypressfarms":3jh3he76 said:
In defense of mnmt, don't we all have a cow or two that do little things to tick us off?

Of course, but the vast majority of the time it was due to the owner forgetting she had an indiosyncracy(sp?) or two. Every cow has her own issues, and it is up to the owner to remember them and handle the cow accordingly. When did it become the cow's fault that her owner failed to remember that? Why is that a shipping offense? Now, having said that, if she took out a half mile of fence during her escapade, I would probably ship her. :lol2: :lol2:

i would repen them all and do a test. leave the gate half opened and see which ones go out. take note and cull all the offenders, keeping only the cows that will not go out a half opened gate. also take note of the all the skittish ones that are too chicken to go out of the half-opened gate and sell those. that should only leave you with lazy dumb cows (which will be frustrating to work so you might as well sell them too.)

Cows aint as dumb as you think. Had 1 do the same thing and I told her the next d... time you pull that you might as well head for the sale barn. Well, she did it the second time and took off down the road towards the neighbors. Called him and said if he saw her to give me a call. Went to the sale barn (52 miles away) 3 days later and dammed if she was'nt there. Did'nt seem the worse for wear after that long a walk either. Neighbor came by a week later to see if I'd found her, I thought that was pretty nice of him to be concerned. Don't really think he was that concerned, think he just wanted me to see his new tool box.