What would you buy right now, today?

Help Support CattleToday:

markjason":2iia2min said:
When it comes down to pure consumer preference, the majority of Americans prefer organic food over conventional food. Most of us also prefer to obtain produce from either a farmers market or from a home garden rather than from a supermarket, which represents an important shift in public awareness concerning food.

That is what people say when you ask them about preferences without tracking their actual behaviour.
Ask a mother in the city, for instance, what she feeds her family. Likely she will tell you "only the best" for my family and identify "the best" as being "the most expensive", which is organic. But we don't always get what we want and I suggest the truth is that she "aspires" to eat all organic food, because she equates that with a boost in status. If you can afford an all organic diet for a family of four you are bringing in some serious cash.
Studies where people "self report" their behaviour are waste bin material

john250":1tzg7ovy said:
markjason":1tzg7ovy said:
When it comes down to pure consumer preference, the majority of Americans prefer organic food over conventional food. Most of us also prefer to obtain produce from either a farmers market or from a home garden rather than from a supermarket, which represents an important shift in public awareness concerning food.

That is what people say when you ask them about preferences without tracking their actual behaviour.
Ask a mother in the city, for instance, what she feeds her family. Likely she will tell you "only the best" for my family and identify "the best" as being "the most expensive", which is organic. But we don't always get what we want and I suggest the truth is that she "aspires" to eat all organic food, because she equates that with a boost in status. If you can afford an all organic diet for a family of four you are bringing in some serious cash.
Studies where people "self report" their behaviour are waste bin material

I think you're both right. The good mom is going to do/buy what's "best," but she can only buy what she can afford and what she actually, geographically has access to, and that can draw the line on "near" organic, "real" organic, those that than afford to buy half a beef from a local producer every year, or those that buy the leanest beef cuts they can get in small packages at Safeway. That's why you see a big trend in community gardens -- it provides an opportunity for those that would not otherwise have space to grow their own produce; and back-yard chickens/home-grown eggs! There's absolutely a growing trend, but it isn't growing all places at the same rate.

markjason":2paib5a4 said:
:bs: :bs: Show some reliable statistics to back up this off the wall statement.