What would you breed to the baldies?

Help Support CattleToday:

Uncle Dude

Reaction score
The Angus X Hereford cross black baldies are real popular these days, but to really take advantage of heterosis you would need a 3rd breed to breed to the baldies. I would like to keep the F2 black with easy calving, so what breed would you recommend?

Limousin. Lower birthweights than the other continentals. Good growth efficiency. Added muscle to the rump. Non-spotting, non-diluting so calves are uniform.

Any FULLBLOOD euro animal will give you what you want. Whether it be Limousin, which in a 3way cross I have seen some GOOD things, or a Char, Simmental even. But the key is to make sure they're full bloods. Too many purebreds still cling onto british genes and your vigour is taken away when you use these in a cross.

Uncle Dude":101ccai0 said:
The Angus X Hereford cross black baldies are real popular these days, but to really take advantage of heterosis you would need a 3rd breed to breed to the baldies. I would like to keep the F2 black with easy calving, so what breed would you recommend?

Is there more heterosis in an F2 cross relative to a F1 cross?

HerefordSire":yfu16v3l said:
Uncle Dude":yfu16v3l said:

Is there more heterosis in an F2 cross relative to a F1 cross?

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/public ... 89229&pf=1

Quote "Crossbreeding theory predicts that the performance of cattle from the first cross (F1) of two breeds will be greater than the average performance (for a wide variety of traits) of the purebreds that comprise the F1. However, this superiority, or hybrid vigor, is expected to be halved in the performance of the second cross (F2, which results from mating F1 parents). For traits that hybrid vigor strongly influences, such as cow reproductive traits, this is a tremendous loss in performance."

With very little practical experience. From what I've read. It seems the best commercial situation would be a herd of f1's raising 3 way crosses.

Walt

That's easy, an angus sired female gets a Hereford bull and a Hereford sired female gets an Angus bull

aussie_cowgirl":194jhuwm said:
Any FULLBLOOD euro animal will give you what you want. Whether it be Limousin, which in a 3way cross I have seen some GOOD things, or a Char, Simmental even. But the key is to make sure they're full bloods. Too many purebreds still cling onto british genes and your vigour is taken away when you use these in a cross.

That is so true. And its the reason why two fullbloods (Angus and Herefords) make good crosses. The trouble is, its increasingly hard to find good fullbloods of any euro breed in the US.

For keeping the heifers which is what it sounds like Uncle wants to do, I would say Tarentaise, Gelbvieh or Simmental and in that order of preference. All are Continental breeds for maximum heterosis with the baldies. All available in black. All have strong maternal traits. However the Tarentaise won't increase the frame size to the degree that the Gelbvieh or Simmental would.

The Limo or Char would be great if he was going terminal but not as strong maternally to keep for replacements IMHO.

Red Bull Breeder":1vd16o28 said:
I can fix him up with a Limi bull that will put all the maternal he will need Mo cows.

Based on your handle, you ain't got a black one and Uncle's post specified black?? The Limi would add frame, too.

Red Bull Breeder":2s2r2687 said:
You never no what i could come up with in pinch Mo cows. Moderate framed Limi's are not all that hard to find.

I've seen some medium frame limis. They're often common here because people like early maturing animals. And the lean towards smaller cuts of meat influences size too.

Uncle Dude":2otftwl1 said:

A black simmi bull with good maternal traits. You could keep/sell the heifers as replacements, and the steers should be very growthy and in high demand for feedlots.

Latest posts