What would y'all do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Not sure where on this forum this would be best suited, so here goes anyway. I currently have 2, 19 month old bulls that each been out with a group of heifers. A couple months ago, one got a leg injury, and I brought him in and treated him, and kept him up in a lot for over a month. A week or so ago, we decide that he is ok to go back out. In his absence we had consolidated both groups of heifers and put the other bull with all of them. We switched the bulls one day last week, and the one we just pulled out was put with a couple cows and calves, he promptly took a gate of the hinges and was then out with our older bull. They weren't paying any attention to each other, but I pulled him out of that field and put him in the barn. I am wondering if I were to put him back with the heifers and the other bull his age that he was with until last May, if they would fight much. Hopefully all the heifers are bred at this point. A few years back we had some bulls that were a little older, that started fighting something awful while we trying to keep them away from some heifers we were in the process of AI'ing one round.

Grit

I hate bulls! That is the problem with them, they seem to do fine if you never separate them but once you do its game on when you put them back together. I know quite a few folks that run several bulls in every pasture, but they are prepared to let them fight it out and do it knowing that injuries will occur. Kind of like bull riders it isn't that they might get hurt its when. We have never had good luck running bulls together, but on occasion have to due to numbers. We avoid it whenever possible.

gizmom

Learn something new everyday. They moved five bulls over to 10 acre spot for short time then moving up to hill. Anyway I have to go through it daily to check other cattle and one of those days two were butting heads and almost ran over me and the Kabota while closing the gate. I worked through the summer to make sure they had thick Bermuda and now they dig up big holes like they are King. Thankful they will have more room shortly. Most of the time they separate in all corners.

I am wondering if I were to put him back with the heifers and the other bull his age that he was with until last May, if they would fight much.
Gonna fight at least some.
If I have a choice, I'd rather have them together in one pasture, and let the 2 same size/age bulls do their shoving around instead of them doing it nose to nose thru a fence. Mine have always fought a little while, then get tired of it and settled down when they're put together, but they'll fight every day thru a fence..if the fence can even keep them apart.

Let something come in heat while the 2 younguns are in the same pasture tho, and the game's on again.

I worked through the summer to make sure they had thick Bermuda and now they dig up big holes like they are King.
I went thru that with a mature Charolais. I think he was part hog. He had this thing about doing it right in front of gates too--made a heck of a mess when it was rainy.

Well, I done it, turned him out with his contemporary with the heifers. Had almost decided to put him with the older bull, then thought since there were several with younger calves over there that might not go over to well. So far it's ok, they bellered a little and pushed around some, but then went on their way not paying any attention to each other.
Thanks for y'alls input, knowing what to do about bulls can be problematic for me, I would rather not have them together, but sometimes just don't have any other options till I can move some on.