what would cause...

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
what all would cause both old cows and ~weaning age calves to go down in their front end? protein deficiency maybe?

drunk or weak?

First thing I thought of was some sort of neurological problem.

Personally I'd pull blood and have it tested.

just weak. i'm thinking protein deficiency or not enough energy in feed.

crappy bahia and bermuda hay. and LOTS of minerals. and now a protein supplement.

Beefy":2qpxc7ky said:
just weak. i'm thinking protein deficiency or not enough energy in feed.
Nah. I don't think so. If it was either of these you should be able to tell by looking at them ~ their condition would have to be EXTREMLY poor for these to be causes. Energy is no more than fat converted, if there is not enough in their feed it will be pulled from stored fat in the body ~ have they no fat on them at all?

I would guess neurological, maybe poison.....
I was thinking eclampsia, but that does not explain the calves.
What is their overall condition?

the old cows that were affected were not in good shape. they were thin but not deathly thin. great appetite. the vet said it was a combination of old age and lack of energy. well i can maybe see that for the 15 year old cow (which he did not see), but not so much the 11 year old (this is the one he looked at and tried to tell me was much older) or the 4 year old. the calves were from cows that didnt milk well this year which leads me to believe it was something nutritional. the cows have been sucking down a ton and a half (actual figure) of minerals steadily. could be a deficiency or too much? they now have protein tubs too which ive never bought before. was wondering if maybe it was a gradual protein deficiency over the course of the last few droughty years? magnesium? phosphorus? real head scratcher, and not a fun one. i dont know if these cows were just not going to the minerals or what.

Did you buy the hay or bail it yourself? Could possibly be a noxious weed in the hay. I've seen folks bail stuff that had posionous plants in it that cows normally wouldn't eat. Just a thought.

I think that over the long term, a lack of a quality diet for the cows makes a huge difference. Not saying that this is your problem, but with every living creature, a diet that is not correct creates physical problems.

Keep them on the lick for more protein and energy, and you might consider a good size B12 shot for them.

Latest posts