What wormer to use

Help Support CattleToday:

Lisagrantb

Reaction score
In a month or so we will be working cattle again and I'm trying to make a decision on wormers to use. Last fall we used Ivermectin and before that it was Dectomax then Cydectin, all injected. Was thinking about going with a good drench this time but I haven't kept up with drenches and what is the best nowadays. Any recommendations/ opinions? I'm in Louisiana and it's beef cow and calves we have. Thanks

You will find lots of opinions. Probably only need to deworm young cattle and young cows. Older cattle probably not needed yearly. I would not stay in a constant rotation of dewormers. Most people say that pour-ons are to be avoided. That they don't work. But that is what I use and they work for me in my location based on fecal exams on my cattle with my vet. Be concerned about building resistant worms in the cattle and pastures. Deworm only when needed - generally young cattle. Use fecals to establish the need in your area. Don't just deworm every cow twice a year. That is sort of like treating all animals periodically with an antibiotic to ensure they don't get sick. Fecals that show a certain level of worms is the key for when and which animals to deworm. A few worms in older cattle is to be expected and will help keep the resistant worms from becoming dominant. You might need to think about liver flukes in your area as well.
Any opinion I offer is just my opinion for consideration. I am no expert. If you search the board, there is a lot of discussion on deworming.

This was posted by a former member a few years ago:

I met Brent Tolle, Senior Sale Rep at Merial (Boehringer Ingelheim). They make a wide range of parasiticides of every kind - drench, pour-on, injectable. They will sell you any kind you prefer but he very lucidly explained their research on the efficacy of Ivomec Eprinex pour on versus Ivomec Ivermectin Injectable. ALERT: THEY PRODUCE BOTH SO NO MOTIVE I COULD SEE FOR HIM TO ADVOCATE ONE OVER THE OTHER.

Results of their study, EQUALLY EFFECTIVE IF ADMINISTERED PROPERLY.

If you don't believe it, call him and I bet he will send you the research results.

Edited to add: all bets are off if you are using a generic. According to him, they are ineffective because of the poor concentration quality control and poor quality control on the active ingredient

Has anyone used Prohibit or Leva-med same active ingredient (levamisole HCl) just two different manufacturers. It's a powder you mix with water to drench

Has anyone used Prohibit or Leva-med same active ingredient (levamisole HCl) just two different manufacturers. It's a powder you mix with water to drench
Yes. It's a product I tend to reserve as a last resort for places that have built resistance to everything else.

I don't recommend changing products every season. Find one that works and stick with it until it stops working. Rotating through all of the products the way that you're doing is a good way to develop a population that's resistant to everything.

Have used Prohibit. Not sure how effective it is but it must taste really bad based on how the cows reacted.

I believe I remember someone saying to stay with a particular class of dewormer until it showed signs of not working then switch types. IE Stay with the avermectins until fecal samples show problems then switch to the "white" dewormers until they start showing resistance.

Generic Ivermectin pour on can be fine, but not all of them are. They need to have a penetration enhancer, ethylhexyl ester is common I believe. My vet told me that some generic pour on brands failed because they actually contained no penetration enhancer at all. Ambient temperature is also important, the ester freezes at -13 C.

I rotate through Ivermectin pour on and Eprinex pour on per my vets recommendation. Eprinex is nice because it had a zero withdrawal period.

I would love to see Levamisole injectable come back. It worked.
I use Synanthic in the fall. It has a smaller dose than safeguard.

Is there a risk with using a " white"wormer like Synanthic on bred animals. It's been many years since I used it for sheep and I seem to remember being told by the person that recommended it, not to use it during a certain time period?

Is there a risk with using a " white"wormer like Synanthic on bred animals. It's been many years since I used it for sheep and I seem to remember being told by the person that recommended it, not to use it during a certain time period?
Valbazen (albendazole) is the product that isn't safe for pregnancy. Synanthic and Safeguard are safe.

Latest posts