What wormer are you using on your aussie?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I you all dont take your dog to the vet everytime to be wormed. So what are you using? That new interceptor stuff is expensive but all i can come up with on a search is to not use ivermec. I knew that but need to know what i can use that is also effective against heartworm. Safeguard is ok but doesnt do heartworm or the uncommon tapeworm
Thx in advance

hooknline":2bqfmc93 said:
That new interceptor stuff is expensive but all i can come up with on a search is to not use ivermec.

Not as expensive as treating a dog that gets heartworms or overdosing a dog on ivomec- which can easily be done in herding dogs. The cheapest heart worm preventions on the market are probably off brands like iverheart.

To be honest, I don't think there is a heartworm preventative that will treat tape worms as well. But generally, you will see tape worms if the dog is infected. And you can treat them at that time.

Most heartworms will help to control rounds and hooks worms.

But where you are in Fl, you may see a lot more whip worms- which is why you may be on the interceptor (cheapest one to prevent whip worms).

The pups had all her shots to date. The vet just saud a "general wormer" and it was injectable.
Trying to stay ahead of the game when its time.

ivomec and herding dogs is a myth.
the problem is some herding breeds have a mutated gene that can cause a reaction(death)
if your dog has the mutated gene then it could be a problem if you are useing the I-9 home remedy.
i was told by my vet that the heartguard(ivomec) does not cause a reaction with the mutated gene, but talk with you vet to confirm that.

i know a reputation border collie breeder that has raised and bred dogs for years and has always used the I-9 solution and has never had a problem, but it is a possibilty your dog has the gene.

Interesting info cross. Ill call my regualr vet and see what he has to say bout that

Ok. Just talked to the sa vet and he said that once you cross a herding dog with anything non herding there is virtually no risk. So since she is crossed with lab it should be ok to use ivermec. He also said for tapes here to use panacur aka safeguard.
Jes so hard to get ahold of i didnt think of calling him beforehand.
Thanks for the input everyone

It is the Collies that have the problem with Ivermectin and as far as I'm aware the Scotch Collies, though I have been carefull with anything with Collie in its name, however the dosage for heartworm prevention is only 5-6 ugm/Kg bodyweight, collies can tolerate up to 50ugm/kg bodyweight. The dosage of Ivermectin for worming livestock is routinely 200ugm/kg, I have used Ivermectin with no problems in dogs up to 600ugm/kg daily, orally with treating Demodectic mange, but I do slowly work up to that dose over several weeks.
Another one I have used for Demodex, is the horse wormer Equest Gel, it contains Moxidectin and at the same doseage for livestock is a monthly hearworm preventitive. Usually I can only get the Equest plus gel and it contains Praziquantel at a fairly high dose so will cover your tapeworm as well. Used directly from the tube onto my finger and then wiped on the roof of the dogs mouth it is a cheap form of the tapewormer of choice for dogs. The dosage can be a bit hard to estimate for small dogs accurately, I squeeze out a length for 100kg and then divide it up for the weight of the dog, once you have done this you then know the length to squeeze out for the individual dog.
Ken

Good info WBV. Also i found the lifecycle of heartworms to be 3 months plus. So if one were to treat every 3 months the heartworms dont ever get be be a problem. Rather than overdose every month. Ive never understood that even down here in Fl where the misquitoes are bad except for 4 months out of the year.

No Hook, all these drugs for heartworm do not affect the adult worm, just a small window, I think from memory, when the heartworm larvae goes between the 3rd to 4th stage. With modern drugs there is about a 6-8 week period when they work which is about 3mths after being bitten by the mosquitoe. From being bitten to an adult heartworm is 6mths. The adult hearworm can live for many years. Monthly prevention is needed although it can be stretched a bit but your safety margin is reduced.
On saying all this, I come from Brisbane in Australia and worked when heartworm was endemic, ie if a dog lived outdoors and was not on prevention by 4yrs of age if tested it would stand a 95% chance of having heartworm. Treatment is expensive, complicted and not without risk to the animal, I have treated many. However in the last 10 years I have not treated any, it has disappeared, mainly due to these newer more convenient forms of heartworm prevention. I would not suggest people to not keep up the prevention as if a susceptible population of dogs increases then it would most definately reappear.
In essence you need to get an idea of the heartworm incidence in your area and the need for prevention. My guess is that there is a lot less out there now than what the drug companies would have you believe. It is a bit like vaccinating kids, some people won't have their kids vaccinated, the only way they get away with it is that most people vaccinate and the diseases don't exist or are at a very low level now. In other words they are bludging off the majority. Sorry I'm getting a bit carried away here, just one of my pet subjects. Hope it is of help.
Ken

Hahaha wbv. Search my name and chicken pox vacc. Lol
But i understand what youre saying.

cross_7":1illqlnq said:
ivomec and herding dogs is a myth.
the problem is some herding breeds have a mutated gene that can cause a reaction(death)
if your dog has the mutated gene then it could be a problem if you are useing the I-9 home remedy.
i was told by my vet that the heartguard(ivomec) does not cause a reaction with the mutated gene, but talk with you vet to confirm that.

i know a reputation border collie breeder that has raised and bred dogs for years and has always used the I-9 solution and has never had a problem, but it is a possibilty your dog has the gene.

Actually it has been a problem in several herding breads. I'm in and out of a lot of small animal hospitals. Seen several healers and several collies over the years. The problem is that in capillaries in the brain where most dogs will keep the drug from entering the brain, affected dogs won't. It is not all herding dogs- not what I was saying. But the problem is that it is highly represented in herding dogs, and you don't know which ones are overly sensitive until there is a problem.

wbvs58 the same dosages are used for treatment of heartworms and demodectic mange here. Lot of dogs I've seen were overdosed on horse paste. Too many people take a paste made for a 2,000 lb horse and just rub an unknown amount into a 50 lb dogs mouth. That is a 40 x difference and so being a little off can be a big problem (for dogs that are sensitive). Too much even in a non-sensitive dog can be toxic.

My statement isn't to say use it or not. It is just to say that it is very easy to overdose a dog when giving a medication dosed for large animals. Especially if the animal is possibly very sensitive.

wbvs58":11d1t222 said:
No Hook, all these drugs for heartworm do not affect the adult worm, just a small window, I think from memory, when the heartworm larvae goes between the 3rd to 4th stage. With modern drugs there is about a 6-8 week period when they work which is about 3mths after being bitten by the mosquitoe. From being bitten to an adult heartworm is 6mths. The adult hearworm can live for many years. Monthly prevention is needed although it can be stretched a bit but your safety margin is reduced.
On saying all this, I come from Brisbane in Australia and worked when heartworm was endemic, ie if a dog lived outdoors and was not on prevention by 4yrs of age if tested it would stand a 95% chance of having heartworm. Treatment is expensive, complicted and not without risk to the animal, I have treated many. However in the last 10 years I have not treated any, it has disappeared, mainly due to these newer more convenient forms of heartworm prevention. I would not suggest people to not keep up the prevention as if a susceptible population of dogs increases then it would most definately reappear.
In essence you need to get an idea of the heartworm incidence in your area and the need for prevention. My guess is that there is a lot less out there now than what the drug companies would have you believe. It is a bit like vaccinating kids, some people won't have their kids vaccinated, the only way they get away with it is that most people vaccinate and the diseases don't exist or are at a very low level now. In other words they are bludging off the majority. Sorry I'm getting a bit carried away here, just one of my pet subjects. Hope it is of help.
Ken

Wish that was the case here, but it is not at all. I travel throughout Texas and Oklahoma. TONS of dogs test positive each year. We are having a problem currently where a few dogs are ending up positive even though on prevention. One of the drug companies, I can't remember exactly which one so i won't guess here, had an issue with a few dogs remaining positive during recent testing. They were claiming 100% efficacy to the FDA. But a staff member blew the whistle. A university lab had similar results. So the question now, are heartworms going to gain resistance like bacteria and other parasites have done in the past. They are pushing for people to use the prevention appropriately and not willy nilly.

There is a test now where you can test your dog to see if they carry the mutated gene.

I have been told it's most commonly associated with border collies and the percentage of those with it are actually quite low. The test is, from what I remember, alittle on the expensive side..I keep my two border collies on a generic heartguard that is cheaper, price wise, then the namebrand stuff. I was told because the dosage is precise in these pills, I run less of a chance of encountering an issue, should one of my collies have the mutated gene. my other two, a purebred heeler and a catahoula both get liquid ivermectin.

I test all my dogs once a year, as I dont beleive any of this is 100%...

I was thinking that healers were also on the list of breeds with the defect being more common, but I guess that is not true. That surprises me as I have seen several of them treated for toxicity, but it may be from other causes as well such as young age (a few were pups), head trauma (how many haven't been kicked in the head?), and other diseases that affect the capillaries will make any dog more susceptible, plus several of them may have been just excessive over dose.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/breeds.aspx
Breeds affected by the MDR1 mutation (frequency %)
Breed Approximate Frequency
Australian Shepherd 50%
Australian Shepherd, Mini 50%
Border Collie < 5%
Collie 70 %
English Shepherd 15 %
German Shepherd 10 %
Herding Breed Cross 10 %
Long-haired Whippet 65 %
McNab 30 %
Mixed Breed 5 %
Old English Sheepdog 5 %
Shetland Sheepdog 15 %
Silken Windhound 30 %

Anyway, sorry to take your thread hostage Hook.

looks like aussies are most common..interesting info..:)

I've heard of many a dog eating horse crap, right after the horse was wormed, and getting sick from ivermectin poisioning..and these were not herding dogs..my thought is..the breeds you posted are simply more sensitive to even a slight overdose, if they carry the gene..ALL dogs can be improperly dosed and get ill.

Latest posts