What Weight to Sell Heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Txtrophy85

Reaction score
I have 4 heifers that are not bred, all weighing 550# or so.

I know its going to depend on the individual market, but what weight is advisable to sell them at? I've heard everything from 500-600 lbs(which they are in now) to let them get up to around a 1000lbs or so.

what is the general consensus? They are basically just pasture cows.

It's a different market now but in the past I've sold heifers that were over 800#'s that sold for a little over packer cow prices
IMO I wouldn't go over 800#, I'd sell at 700-750
If I were going to the sale barn and they weren't replacement quality

Edit
I just looked and they're bringing a 1.50 up to 900 #, but this market is a different deal than it has been in the past

I would sell them at 550 to 600lbs or wait until they get to about 800 or 850lbs. IMO if you keep them past 600lbs you need to get them on up to 800lbs to have made it worth doing.

In th past we tupically sold them at 45 days post weaning, 600-700 lbs. Last year we didn;t sell any cause we're going to sell them as bred heifers in the fall. The ones that aren;t/weren;t breeding quality go to the sale barn 45 days post weaning as feeders no matter what.

Txtrophy85":49ueuz6c said:
I have 4 heifers that are not bred, all weighing 550# or so.

I know its going to depend on the individual market, but what weight is advisable to sell them at? I've heard everything from 500-600 lbs(which they are in now) to let them get up to around a 1000lbs or so.

what is the general consensus? They are basically just pasture cows.
At 550 lbs, your heifers maybe too small and young to have reached puberty to be cycling. We try to breed our heifers when they weigh 65% to 70% of their mature weight. If their mothers were 1000 lb cows, the heifers would need to weigh at least 650 lbs before breeding. If you expect them to mature into a 1200 lb cow, then you would breed them when they weigh about 780 lbs.

NC Liz 2":3czoztyx said:
Txtrophy85
Where are you located?
Liz

:D
A man from Tn pretending to be a women from Nc asking someone where their located ? :shock:

But just a guess I'd say TX based on his name

cross_7":1bnmwsnr said:
NC Liz 2":1bnmwsnr said:
Txtrophy85
Where are you located?
Liz

:D
A man from Tn pretending to be a women from Nc asking someone where their located ? :shock:

But just a guess I'd say TX based on his name
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: ;-)

Market's good now, all indications are that it stay's good all spring. If you need the money, or they're in the way, I'd turn them now. If you've got a place to keep them growing and gaining, and no immediate need to sell them, they should keep increasing in value. Unless you plan to breed them (to a lbw bull) and sell them as breds, there's no reason to keep them past 900# - at that point they should be ready to breed or to go to the feedlot.

Over the years I've sold a lot at 450-500 lbs. Total dollars per head were not that much different on the smaller calf that a larger one and I got them off the cow and off my place.

TexasBred":3pwwsji6 said:
Over the years I've sold a lot at 450-500 lbs. Total dollars per head were not that much different on the smaller calf that a larger one and I got them off the cow and off my place.
That is my target weight.

Latest posts