What we saw at the stockyards today.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Took a bull that had injured equipment, to the stockyards today. Got there at after the sale had been going for around a couple hours. Last week we took a couple pound cows and no waiting lines to unload. Today there were several trailers in line and half of them were there to load out. I was glad to see farmers buying stocker size calves, usually most around here are bought by order buyers. I wonder if this is a trend in other places too?

I think that for a regular weekly sale, that's the norm around here. The order buyers don't mess around with sales where they can't put pot loads of cattle together.

Around here, most of the calves at any yards are bought by order buyers, at some markets there are very few spectators or folks buying for themselves in the seats. The stockyards we usually go to which is the one I'm referring to in the post, has traditionally been one that is regularly attended by a lot of farmers. Still the majority of calves especially in recent years are bought by order buyers. At some other yards I have been to, the buyers don't seem to be very happy when an individual comes in and starts buying.

Took a bull that had injured equipment, to the stockyards today. Got there at after the sale had been going for around a couple hours. Last week we took a couple pound cows and no waiting lines to unload. Today there were several trailers in line and half of them were there to load out. I was glad to see farmers buying stocker size calves, usually most around here are bought by order buyers. I wonder if this is a trend in other places too?
Was that Mt Sterling. Looks like they had a good sale

Feeders last week in Staunton Va were up.... heard that some steers were in the low 1.80's...... 4-5 wt heifers were up to 1.48.... I watched some of them before the bred cow sale.... we have about 50 head going tomorrow.... 4-6 wts, about half heifers and half steers.... got in to the one place today without getting stuck and brought 25 cow/cf pairs out. Most cows are pushing the 7+ month bred since we couldn't get them out like they were supposed to be end of Jan.... hoping calves will do good. Had the rest at the barn on silage and feed for 6+ weeks but the mud has been absolutely horrible so they have not done quite as well as I would have liked....
3 open cows... 2 have NO TEETH so that is fine. The other will go back with a bull, nice young cow, 2nd calf, has a whopping 5+ wt steer on her. She can get one more try.
Looking at some breds/calving now, cows, $1250.... son is going to go look at them in person. We(he) are trying to "upgrade" a bit and get some "nicer" cows....he wants to have some that are more beefy.... I'm not sure that I want 13-1400 lb cows.... but a dozen that will have a calf to sell this fall/winter coming might be a good comparison. Most of ours will go 11-1200 on average.
I like the low end one and dones like @Dave does.... and the older reliable ones that I can get for the 8-900 range and get a couple more calves out of and maybe retain a few heifers for future cows.... but then I am a bit of a cheapskate....