What we did yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We weaned some calves a couple weeks ago and turned them out last Wednesday into a field that hadn't had much grazing it. Yesterday morning couldn't find one so went out to try to find it and see where it went through the fence at. Had patched up some places that water had washed out underneath the fence that have give trouble before but figured they couldn't get through where that one did but of course was wrong as usual. There is a place at the bottom of a hill that was fenced off for a tobacco patch and now a hay field. The ground has washed out from around the fence in an upper corner that is as deep as a gate. The calf had went down in there and squeezed straight up between the bottom of the fence and the embankment. We put a gate down in there and wired it to the exposed fence posts

We've done something similar with cattle panels, cutting them to fit and wiring them to the bottom strand. Even did it on a swing bar over a cattle guard at the barnyard because the bar is only effective at keeping the cattle from jumping the guard - calves still figure out how to get over 'em.

TCRanch said:
We've done something similar with cattle panels, cutting them to fit and wiring them to the bottom strand. Even did it on a swing bar over a cattle guard at the barnyard because the bar is only effective at keeping the cattle from jumping the guard - calves still figure out how to get over 'em.

Yes those cattle panels come in handy in a lot of patch jobs.

MurraysMutts said:

Yup. 3 heifers went about 3 miles....

I got lucky. Neighbor called last week & said one of our calves was out. Yup, he made it through the water gap but he didn't go anywhere - literally just stood in the ditch on the other side, bawling for his mama. Clearly not the brightest in the bunch! Coaxed him back through and spent quality time fixing the gap.

I'm lucky (I guess??) My neighbors overgraze their pastures so much, my cows know they are in a much better place.
This is from last fall.

At least the fence line stays clean. ;-)

Latest posts