What watering systems do you use for rotational grazing ?

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
I'm running pipe to my back pastures from a well. I'm putting in electric fences as cross fences. I'm trying to figure out the best way to water more that one pasture with the same waterer. What would you suggest? A common area, portable tanks, waterer under the fence? What works best for you guys. Anybody like the concrete waterers? What about the freeze proof waterers that have the red balls that the cattle push down to drink? I have often wondered if the calves can drink from these. I will appreciate everybodys ideas. Thanks so much!!!

The ball type waterers are a pain in the butt. We have one concrete freeze proof that is a centralized catch pen. It serves several patures by opening and closing gates. For other areas we us portable tanks (150 gal Rubbermaid) and rotate them around if one location won't serve multiple paddocks. Some places we just run a short alleyway from one paddock to the waterer in another. We also have several paddocks that are all served by the main freezeproof by the barn. Same deal with the catchpen concept.
We ran 2400' od underground pipe and put freeze proof hydraunts out in the middle of several paddocks also. We put up a small pen and water from it, when they move to the next paddock we just shift the hotwire to the other side of the pen.
The deal is, this is what works for us. Every farm is different and each manager handles identical situations differently.

dun

I have had my Mira Fount ball waterer for two or three years and couldn't be more satisfied. I have never touched it since I put it in.Never will use Pollytron again. I have worked on them way too much.

We have 2 permanent mirafount waterer's installed in each barn for winter use. I have run 3/4 in black plastic water pipe laid on top of the ground down the middle of the pasture with hose fittings installed where it goes under the permanent cross fencing. I use a portable tub and move it with the cows to the new pastures and I also have a larger tub set up in the lane between pastures that can serve 8 pastures by opening or closing gates. I have 3 75 tanks and 100 gallon tank that I use. I am trying to locate the drain plug float control unit to replace the top of the tank float units that the cows like to knock off. I have 1 farm that has a watering area at each end with the pastures radiating around it.

We have a stock tank (galv. steel) in each of our pastures/paddocks. Served by a freeze proof faucet from 1.5 and 2.0 inch buried mainlines. Paddocks under 1 acre served by a 200 to 300 gal tank. Larger areas have 400 gal tanks. Couple of the larger tanks are placed 1/2 way between steel pipe fence posts with barrier fence across top so cattle can't get to other side. Also have one 200 gal tank in our 60 x 75' corral.

I do not have water or electricity available so....four pastures each have a spring fed pond for water...the other four pastures each have a large poly tank and water is pumped from the nearest pond or spring branch every day with a small gasoline pump. As Dad used to say "Son, pore folks have pore ways"

We use 16 foot concrete water troughs at the corner of 4 pastures so they can get water from all pastures. Other places we have them on the fence line so they water 2 pastures.

mbdear":23o9ar3u said:
I do not have water or electricity available so....four pastures each have a spring fed pond for water...the other four pastures each have a large poly tank and water is pumped from the nearest pond or spring branch every day with a small gasoline pump. As Dad used to say "Son, pore folks have pore ways"

We tried the pumping solution. It really sucked in the heat of the summer or the cold of the winter. Thankfully NRCS ponied up most of the money for us to put in a pretty comprehensive watering system. Now I have a pump that hasn't been used in 3 years.

dun

Latest posts