What was your first tractor?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
My junior year of high school, I bought a 135 Massey Ferguson. Should have been around '87. It was a 1971 model, almost certain I gave $3500 for it. Far more valuable, than the truck I was driving at the . Kept it probably ten years, and sold it for $3500. Never made a single major repair to that old thing. My current tractor, has been in the shop more, the last year than it has been out. I need to try and wag to town early this week. I miss the old days, when they made to last.

Mine was a 1974 Ford 2000 gas. Think I paid $2,000. Sold it years later for $3,000 and would probably give that much now if I could get it back.

JD 950, yanmar built.. put a lot of hours on it since it was totally undersized (30hp) Sold it after 20 years of abuse when the transmission started getting sloppy and whiney.. Probably went to a hobby farm to clean out a barn, will last for years there yet.

A Ferguson TE20, I still have it and often use it with a cone spinner to put out fertiliser. Nothing turns as good as those old girls, the geometry in the front end was brilliant not to mention the 3 point linkage and PTO which is what all later tractors copied.

Ken

A 1960 model Fordson Dexta Diesel 2000. I put a lot of hours on it with no roll bar or canopy. The brakes barely worked and the gears would lock up if you didn't know the trick on how to change them. (if locked unbolt the top and put back in place) No power steering and the steering was messed up and it took all the power you had to steer. It did have seemed like about as much power as a Ford 3000 we got latter though. It was the diesel model and if it got below 30 degrees almost impossible to start. You could run it all day on what seemed like less than 5 gallon of diesel fuel.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... dexta.html

ford-32-hp-diesel-tractor-2000-chilliwack_8275547.jpg

2010 John Deer 350 tractor with brush hog box blade and front scoop and trailer. It came with trailer but went down and bought a hydraulic trailer I could just drive upon a year later. Family thought I was crazy for buying it but since have used multiple hours mowing lots in town and mowing pasture. Also bought a used rota tiller and used many hours. The box blade has leveled many drops of rock on roads as well. I have a man who borrows twice a year and in trade he services it Other than blades on mower have not had any problems. I think the next one I will get one step bigger with cab.

Ford 5000, worn out pile of junk when I got it. Rebuilt pretty much everything on it except for the transmission and rear end. Sold it to a guy across the mountain, still going good from what I hear.

cfpinz":2i42wysf said:
Ford 5000, worn out pile of junk when I got it. Rebuilt pretty much everything on it except for the transmission and rear end. Sold it to a guy across the mountain, still going good from what I hear.
You sure your first wasn;t a John Deere? I know that's your favorite brand

The first tractor I ever bought was a 6610 Ford. All my life I helped my dad farm with tractors that where under 50hp and to small for what we was trying to do so I bought the biggest tractor I could afford at the time.

Bigfoot":22s93q75 said:
My junior year of high school, I bought a 135 Massey Ferguson. Should have been around '87. It was a 1971 model, almost certain I gave $3500 for it. Far more valuable, than the truck I was driving at the . Kept it probably ten years, and sold it for $3500. Never made a single major repair to that old thing. My current tractor, has been in the shop more, the last year than it has been out. I need to try and wag to town early this week. I miss the old days, when they made to last.

My first new one was a 67 135 when I sold it in 07 it was still humming along.

2001 John Deere 5310 2WD w/ loader. Bought it in 2013 with 285 hours on it. I'd love a cab but I can't justify it when this one is like new and I need a hundred other things.

dun":1w7gl5t1 said:
cfpinz":1w7gl5t1 said:

Only owned one JD, it actually was my favorite now that you mention it. Favorite one to see heading out the driveway on someone else's trailer!

cfpinz":2jh2yaid said:
dun":2jh2yaid said:
cfpinz":2jh2yaid said:

Only owned one JD, it actually was my favorite now that you mention it. Favorite one to see heading out the driveway on someone else's trailer!

Latest posts