What Variety Thistile?

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1010501.jpg

We just started getting those and we call them Canadian. Don't know if that is correct though. They spread bad if not controled early. I think we got them in some hay we had shipped in from western KY.

yes thoat looks like a canadian thistle ,we have alot of it here in ohio .It is conidered a noxioux weed because of its difficulty to control & rapid spread. kill it as soon as you can :tiphat:

No, that doesn't look like Canadian Thistle - the leaves aren't right, the blooms aren't right, nor is the color on the uppermost bloom. I'm not sure what it is, though.

Thanks for the replies. Can't pick it out from the link posted by dun. The blooms are not pink, but white and the leaves are deeply lobed. Every piece of the plant has a sticker on it(but I guess that's true of any thistle).Those first showed up here last year in that pine field. I think a seed blew in here from who knows where. I went through and sprayed them last year. This year there are many less and I've been cutting the seed heads off and disposing of. Then I pull up the rest of the plant. So far, they're confined to that one field. I have them under control, I think.

ga. prime":34rl1oqe said:
Thanks for the replies. Can't pick it out from the link posted by dun. The blooms are not pink, but white and the leaves are deeply lobed. Every piece of the plant has a sticker on it(but I guess that's true of any thistle).Those first showed up here last year in that pine field. I think a seed blew in here from who knows where. I went through and sprayed them last year. This year there are many less and I've been cutting the seed heads off and disposing of. Then I pull up the rest of the plant. So far, they're confined to that one field. I have them under control, I think.
How big are the flowers?

Sorry for the delay. Whooee, what a 4th. I'm over here in Savannah at my brother's place. The flowers are about an inch high and wide when they puff up.

Knappweed is a good guess, but after more looking and pondering I'd say it's Bull Thistles that I have except that the blooms are white and not pink. Leaves are a match from the missouri.edu weblink. Apparently bloom color is variable within thistle species from purple to pink to white.

ga. prime":31vd2vus said:
Knappweed is a good guess, but after more looking and pondering I'd say it's Bull Thistles that I have except that the blooms are white and not pink. Leaves are a match from the missouri.edu weblink. Apparently bloom color is variable within thistle species from purple to pink to white.

Yup, Bull Thistle varies from off white to dark pink. And the plant varies according to sunlight, soil conditions and moisture. You may have a dark green plant with wide leaves and very thick and bushy.[rich soil and good moisture] The pic you show is in light soil, some shade and some dry. Also looks to be mature, maybe already seeded. Seeds have light fluff on them and will carry with the wind until it hits an obstruction or the wind dies.

Latest posts