What vaccines to give

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am looking at buying 5-10 steers at the auction to feed on my place for a month or two. I worked a lot of cattle when I was younger and I remember dehorning, castrating, pouring ivomec on them, putting implants in the ear, and giving them two shots. Now that I am looking to do this on my own I assume the regimine is more or less the same but I just wanted to check and see what the standard practice was these days. Also I have no idea what shots we were giving. I assume a blackleg and something else?

Buying cattle at the auction where I have no idea on their history is there anything I should do different? Since there is a chance they have implants already is it safe to give them one?

Anonymous":nfo5dcoo said:
I am looking at buying 5-10 steers at the auction to feed on my place for a month or two. I worked a lot of cattle when I was younger and I remember dehorning, castrating, pouring ivomec on them, putting implants in the ear, and giving them two shots. Now that I am looking to do this on my own I assume the regimine is more or less the same but I just wanted to check and see what the standard practice was these days. Also I have no idea what shots we were giving. I assume a blackleg and something else?

Buying cattle at the auction where I have no idea on their history is there anything I should do different? Since there is a chance they have implants already is it safe to give them one?

The other shot was probably the alphabet soup, IBR/BVD/PI3 etc.

dun