What vaccinations should I give my cow??

Help Support CattleToday:

Belties R Us

Reaction score
She is currently pregnant and has about a month to go. What vaccinations and imusations should we give her? Also what should we do about worming and when do we start creep feeding?

The time to vaccinate is about a 6 weeks before you breed her.

Worm her when she needs it. Probably when it stays above freezing at night.

Creep feed when the cow doesn't have enough milk to raise the calf.

you need to contact your local vet or county extension office, each area is different. here i worm every six months and vac with blackleg(the cows so they can pass the immunity to the calf) and lepto vibro there alot of choices, but you don't want to waste time or money giving something that is not needed.

jcarkie":11vxasp8 said:
you need to contact your local vet or county extension office, each area is different.

Solid and sound advice.

I could tell you what we do in Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and Israel - but it would not do you much good where you live.

Your veterinarian will not only tell you what fits best for your area, but he can provide you with what you will need.

Your ag agent, cattlemens association or your neighbours should be your guides with other aspects of feed and handling.

Have a good one.

Regards

Bez+

This is a general statement. Most people in Ohio vaccinate for IBR, PI3, BVD, and BRSV as well as lepto and vibrio. Those south of I-70 tend to vaccinate for blackleg and depending on your area (talk to your vet)
you may also need to vacc. for one of more of the following Clostridium (many types), Pasteurella, Haemophilus. However, I would NOT vaccinate at this stage of the preg., as was state earlier she should have been vacc. before breeding.