What to start with?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just moved to Wyoming and have a small spread. I would like to put some cattle on it but need some advice on whats best for the climate and a beginner.

[email protected]

I'm not familiar with WY, but one of the premier Red Angus breeders in the country is located near Leiter, WY. Any baldy, red or black should do well. Check at your local sale barn and see what types of cattle are most in demand. Because of the drought conditions over so much of the country I would want to start by under stocking and play it by ear as to what your property will support.

dunmovin farms

> I just moved to Wyoming and have a
> small spread. I would like to put
> some cattle on it but need some
> advice on whats best for the
> climate and a beginner.

Consider how you will market your calves. If they will go to the local sale barn, drop in there for a few sales and see what seems to sell best. If you're going to direct market, look for an animal that will "finish" quickly. Either way, an Angus-based cow herd is hard to beat. And learn about EPDs. Good luck...

[email protected]

> It doesn"t matter what the breed is as long as you've got buyers, some like black and some like red and a few actually buy good cattle reguardless. Buy cattle from someone that manages their herd like you will, Show cows have culture shock at range conditions and range cows won't pay back extra feed and care.

[email protected]

Latest posts