what to spray for wild blackberries?

Help Support CattleToday:

I used to use crossbow a lot but now my new friend is Chaparral. :cboy:
Chaparral and Surmount both have a residual. Which make them both a good choice. If you have a lot of woody species just add a little Remedy Ultra.

RiverHills":3iwk0nhu said:
I used to use crossbow a lot but now my new friend is Chaparral. :cboy:
Chaparral and Surmount both have a residual. Which make them both a good choice. If you have a lot of woody species just add a little Remedy Ultra.
Agree on the Chaparral. Question - how much Remedy do you add to your mixture when using Chaparral?

If spot spraying I would probably use my nuclear mix. Of 1to 100 tordon22 mixed with 1to 50 remedy. I haven't found much it won't kill.
I think for broadcast I would probably lean toward surmount.
Pasturegaurd and chapperal are pricey options if you don't have a applicator licence

Surmount when they have white flowers will work best, You are probably past that time for this year but it does a pretty good at any time of the year.

callmefence":1yqmr2wv said:
If spot spraying I would probably use my nuclear mix. Of 1to 100 tordon22 mixed with 1to 50 remedy. I haven't found much it won't kill.
Pasturegaurd and chapperal are pricey options if you don't have a applicator licence

They are very high but the rate of product used per acre is low. If I mix chaparral according to the label and add 1 pint per acre of remedy ultru I'm around the same price per acre as surmount. Mixing chaparral and remedy should take care of anything you spray.

I spot sprayed some multiflorosa and thistle at a rate of 2oz per 25gallons of chaparral with good results.

RiverHills":1xr37zml said:
callmefence":1xr37zml said:

They are very high but the rate of product used per acre is low. If I mix chaparral according to the label and add 1 pint per acre of remedy ultru I'm around the same price per acre as surmount. Mixing chaparral and remedy should take care of anything you spray.

I spot sprayed some multiflorosa and thistle at a rate of 2oz per 25gallons of chaparral with good results.

Certainly use what works for you. But I come up with about 30.00 for Chappell x remedy.

22.00 for surmount

I think chapperal is also pretty hard on some grasses. Bahia and rye I think. That may or may not apply to ops issue. Always read the label :D

What I loke about Surmount is that it isn;t nearly as sensitive as to the stage of application. Pretty much of there are leaves it will hammer it and it won;t be back next year.
Something to watch with surmount is that after it;s mixed if it sits for a week or so it will get a sticky thready texture that won;t spray. Got the shirt

I have just sprayed them with grazon and killed them. Grazon and remedy will kill them with ease

callmefence":3gwggxx2 said:
RiverHills":3gwggxx2 said:
callmefence":3gwggxx2 said:

Certainly use what works for you. But I come up with about 30.00 for Chappell x remedy.

22.00 for surmount

I think chapperal is also pretty hard on some grasses. Bahia and rye I think. That may or may not apply to ops issue. Always read the label :D

Same here for the chaparral but for surmount I got $32 4p/ac at $64/gallon.

Any of the products suggested will work.

Don't use just Remedy Ultra...I haven't had great luck with that product by itself when used on brushy weeds including blackberry. The only thing it seems to work moderately well on by itself is small saplings (basal bark applic).

pdubdo":3tx9cpsz said:
Don't use just Remedy Ultra...I haven't had great luck with that product by itself when used on brushy weeds including blackberry. The only thing it seems to work moderately well on by itself is small saplings (basal bark applic).

Yep. I have the same opinion.
We do a lot of spraying cedar and pear along with fence work to pay our pasture leases.
Tordon22 is the herbicide of choice for both. It just takes a while. Especially on pears.
We add remedy just to give a quick burn. They will always check a few days after you spray. You want em to be able to tell you were there.
You just spray the remedy and they will come back. There are few applications for remedy on its own imo.

Latest posts