what to see

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
We are planing this summers vacation in July and would like some ideas. We are leaving Virginia and traveling through KY, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and then turn south toward home. Time is not really an issue. Already I know we will probably stop in Missouri and see Angus Cowman, visit Cheyene Days for a couple of days, and visit BRG in South Dakota. Any other ideas on what to see. Large cattle market would be ok. We like cattle but need a few things for the wives also.

Depending on how you're going through Missouri...if you go down around Springfield you HAVE to stop and have dinner at Lamberts Cafe. Its my favorite place to eat...you can look them up online.

I recently went to one of the Dakotas with MM and CKC (I forget which dakota), and we had a blast! Too bad you are not heading just a tad further to the right ~ Paul Bunyon Land is a sweet place to visit, the Iron Range gives factory tours, and Mille Lacs Lake has the Worlds Largest Walleye statue you can have your picture taken with! :nod: :clap:

Its a good thing you are planning now ~ I am sure there are plenty of thins to see and do!
Enjoy!

If you're going thru Springfield IL the Lincoln sites are real good.

angie":2yboyrw6 said:
I recently went to one of the Dakotas with MM and CKC (I forget which dakota), and we had a blast! Too bad you are not heading just a tad further to the right ~ Paul Bunyon Land is a sweet place to visit, the Iron Range gives factory tours, and Mille Lacs Lake has the Worlds Largest Walleye statue you can have your picture taken with! :nod: :clap:

Its a good thing you are planning now ~ I am sure there are plenty of thins to see and do!
Enjoy!
:???: Was that the Dakotas??? I thought we was in Daytona....dam hard cider.... :?

CKC1586":1uzgfu6x said:
angie":1uzgfu6x said:

Enjoy!
:???: Was that the Dakotas??? I thought we was in Daytona....dam hard cider.... :?

To double check that, check your ankle or you t-hiney and see if you got a tattoo or not. If you got a tattoo in one of these places you were probably in Daytona drinking that hard cider.

Cheyenne Frontier Days is a blast, you need two or three days there. Make sure you hit the free pancake breakfast, the boy scouts throwing pancakes is the best show in town. Parade is cool, too.

We went to Estes Park in Colorado, just outside Fort Collins. Definately worth the drive. Fort Collins has a nice stockmarket, too. We hit one in Torrington, WY on the way home. We really enjoy going to stockmarkets in other parts of the country. Stopped at one a couple years ago in MO, they were selling camels, kangaroos, elk, etc.

The Flint Hills region of KS is pretty cool, if I ever leave Va that's where I'm headed.

kenny thomas":r2malquy said:
We are planing this summers vacation in July and would like some ideas. We are leaving Virginia and traveling through KY, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and then turn south toward home. Time is not really an issue. Already I know we will probably stop in Missouri and see Angus Cowman, visit Cheyene Days for a couple of days, and visit BRG in South Dakota. Any other ideas on what to see. Large cattle market would be ok. We like cattle but need a few things for the wives also.

From the looks of it, you are going to see plenty by going thru all those states. Dont forget Colorado.

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming. I have seen Lamberts resturant on TV. Great idea.
Last year we left here traveled through Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas (of course the Big Texan steak house in Amarillo) New Mexico, three days in Colorado, Wyoming (two days late for Cheyene Days), Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky. Had a blast. I was the only one who had been west before and it was only fighting wildfires so I had not seen much.

If you go through S. KY think about Lake Barkley state park I was there last week and it looks like a grate place in the summer. They were out of rooms at the main place so I had a cottage on the lake, it was big enough for a family and had a kitchen also. East of their is KY-TN stockyards and they have 2 sales a week and the owners seemed very nice.

cfpinz":33mggl0j said:
Cheyenne Frontier Days is a blast, you need two or three days there. Make sure you hit the free pancake breakfast, the boy scouts throwing pancakes is the best show in town. Parade is cool, too.

We went to Estes Park in Colorado, just outside Fort Collins. Definately worth the drive. Fort Collins has a nice stockmarket, too. We hit one in Torrington, WY on the way home. We really enjoy going to stockmarkets in other parts of the country. Stopped at one a couple years ago in MO, they were selling camels, kangaroos, elk, etc.

The Flint Hills region of KS is pretty cool, if I ever leave Va that's where I'm headed.

The sale was probably at the Lolli Brothers sale barn at Macon Mo. They used to have some huge exotic animal sales.

FYI Oklahoma City has the largest cattle auction in the world. They average selling 10,000 head each Monday. It's a sight to see and it is just off I-40. Most of the feedyards have buyers there and cattle bring top dollar.

Lots of stores, restaurants and other attractions in "Stockyard City". Your family could probably find something to enjoy while you spent some time at the sale.

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.onsy.com/about-us/

Louisville is amazing...I went last April for a farm bureau conference and was just snapping pictures left and right. The city itself is very nice and unique, and we visited some of the surrounding towns-I think Versailles was one -where they have tons of beautiful farms. Lots of cattle out to pasture and of course the stinkin horses....but the barns are all fancy and everything is so green-even just driving through is interesting. Just don't go to Louisville on Sunday morning hoping for breakfast or shopping-nothing-not even the donut shop-opens until after church.

TexasPaPaw, visited OK city stockyards last year. It was great. Spent the night in the area and enjoyed the nightlife.
LoveMoo11, you are right about Louisville. We go there at least a couple of times a year and sometimes stay 3-4 days. North American International Livestock Expo and National Machinery Show are great. Something always going on at the Expo Center.

jedstivers":2zpezpj0 said:
If you go through S. KY think about Lake Barkley state park I was there last week and it looks like a grate place in the summer. They were out of rooms at the main place so I had a cottage on the lake, it was big enough for a family and had a kitchen also. East of their is KY-TN stockyards and they have 2 sales a week and the owners seemed very nice.
They only have 1 sale a week, on Thursday. They own another yard down in TN that sells on Monday.

mwj":p56piyx8 said:
cfpinz":p56piyx8 said:

The sale was probably at the Lolli Brothers sale barn at Macon Mo. They used to have some huge exotic animal sales.

That was it, we walked in the back expecting to see cattle. Man, those were some weird cows.

Latest posts