what to plant

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a little fall planting. For the pastures I was thinking fescue and Ladino, and the hay fields/sometimes pasture, orchardgrass and ladino, or do you think a red clover would be better? I heard from somewhere the Red clover don't last all long as the Ladino, any other suggestions for what to plant would be helpful.

Thanks

Gail

I'ld plant the old standbys, fescue, OG and red clover with maybe a little ladino for a variety. If you rotationally graze the red will hold up as long as you allow some of it to go to seed. Id you hammer the pastures and don;t rotationally graze the only thing you'll end up with fescue. Well you probably have queen anns lace too, but no matter what you do you'll get that.

dun

And poke every pasture needs a little poke. For fall color and all.
GMN I've had real good luck with Kenland. Kenstar is supposed to be as good or better, but have never tried it.

The red clover has a 2 year life. It will reseed itself if you let it go to seed. Dun is right about how you treat the pasture. If you pasture it hard, fescue is the only thing you will be left with. The way the pasture and hay situation is, I am going to broadcast Koolgrazer rye over several areas and try to get some fall and especially early spring pasture. There is a huge shortage of rye seed and I was going to wait another couple of weeks to buy mine but Nixa Hardware told me that they only had a couple days supply left and they wouldnt be getting anymore. So I got mine yesterday. I guess so many people are looking to cut their hay feeding that everyone is planting some rye.

stocky":bvddeqe3 said:
The red clover has a 2 year life. It will reseed itself if you let it go to seed. Dun is right about how you treat the pasture. If you pasture it hard, fescue is the only thing you will be left with. The way the pasture and hay situation is, I am going to broadcast Koolgrazer rye over several areas and try to get some fall and especially early spring pasture. There is a huge shortage of rye seed and I was going to wait another couple of weeks to buy mine but Nixa Hardware told me that they only had a couple days supply left and they wouldnt be getting anymore. So I got mine yesterday. I guess so many people are looking to cut their hay feeding that everyone is planting some rye.

Good to know, thanks

Gail